dat612freakoftoday
Probation
Probation

Lucas county's 5 am growl..?

Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:17 am

This is being posted 17 minutes after I heard a 2001-SRN growl off in the county. I was just asleep like usual and then at 5 today, the 2001 just growls. If anyone knows what happened, please let me know.
*update: The Mccord Junior high school SRN just went off at 5:25 am EST
World's greatest invention The AR timer
Probably gonna leave from the board soon

siren_face2000

Re: Lucas county's 5 am growl..?

Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Why would a siren system do a growl test so early in the morning? Does not make any sense to me. I mean I know some sirens are used as time signals (E.G. Noon blasts, 6 PM, curfew) but a growl test even before the ssun is up? *Scratches head*

siren fan

Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:04 pm

Definitely sounds like a malfunction situation.

dat612freakoftoday
Probation
Probation

Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:38 pm

siren fan wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:04 pm
Definitely sounds like a malfunction situation.
That is what I thought
World's greatest invention The AR timer
Probably gonna leave from the board soon

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:19 am

Sounds more like a silent test, I've heard of places doing it in the early morning hours like that before. I guess it wasn't silent enough this time lol
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:44 am

sirensandfirealarms wrote:
Sounds more like a silent test, I've heard of places doing it in the early morning hours like that before. I guess it wasn't silent enough this time lol
IIRC yes, the "silent test" for both Federal signal and ASC is a growl that the controller uses to check if the motor is drawing current.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eztxVBku1pk here is a video of one of these "silent tests". not sure if I'd call it silent :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52fAmNs8nw and another for good measure.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

siren_face2000

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:08 am

Model L wrote:
IIRC yes, the "silent test" for both Federal signal and ASC is a growl that the controller uses to check if the motor is drawing current.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eztxVBku1pk here is a video of one of these "silent tests". not sure if I'd call it silent :lol:
Those definitely weren't 'silent tests'. To me, they were 'partially silent' until the siren head stopped moving and then the 'growl'. Really strange to me. I know that Whelen's outdoor systems can do silent testing, and unlike most sirens, there is absolutely no sound at all unless the person who's doing the testing wants to see if the speakers are working.

traintraveler

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:16 am

In my honest opinion, this doesn't sound like a silent test at all. Why they would have done this at five in the morning? It probably was an accidental activation. I don't see why the EMA would test so early in the morning. Knowing how much citizens just love to complain about things like this, it's just plainly stupid to activate at that hour. People hate being woke up by a loud tornado siren.

Still, it doesn't put activating early in the morning as a test out of the question.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:11 am

siren_face2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:08 am
Model L wrote:
Those definitely weren't 'silent tests'. To me, they were 'partially silent' until the siren head stopped moving and then the 'growl'. Really strange to me. I know that Whelen's outdoor systems can do silent testing, and unlike most sirens, there is absolutely no sound at all unless the person who's doing the testing wants to see if the speakers are working.
Whelen's and other fully electronic sirens are able to silently test by passing an inaudible tone in the range of 16-20khz through the drivers at a very low volume and checking for current draw on the amplifier side. Mechanical sirens of course are inable to due this, as any motion in the chopper will cause at least some audible noise. My whelen's silent test is about 17khz and I think it has drifted down over time as whelen's manual notes it should be 20Khz. it is barely audible as a slight hissing/whining noise when SI-Test is occuring.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”