Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

An End of an Era - Federal Electric Mach. 3

Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:21 pm

Hello all,

I'm not nearly as active as I used to be here. Life has gotten very hectic and busy, especially as I recently started my new career. That being said, I have something interesting that I've been keeping tabs on. It started as a mystery and recently became a disappointment. Strap yourselves in...

The Mystery

This all begins in late October 2022. I was headed up to northeastern Iowa on business when I decided to come up a bit earlier to do some siren scouting. I pulled into the small town of Volga, Iowa, as nothing was placed on the map. I drove through the town for 20 minutes, and yet no siren.

Fast forward to December 2022. I was preparing a return trip up north to do some house hunting. Before visiting, I noticed that a new pin appeared in Volga. Attached to the pin was this photo:
Volga Mystery.png
Volga Mystery.png (154.29 KiB) Viewed 19638 times
The Mysterious Photograph

Upon seeing that something was indeed in the town, I set off again for recon. I drove around for another 20 minutes...until I found it.

The DIscovery

When I found the siren, I was both in shock and slightly disappointed (at first). Atop an old rusty tower sat a siren obscured by large sheet metal deflectors. About 50 feet away stood a newly installed Whelen Vortex:
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 6.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 6.JPG (6.35 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Initially, I had no idea what this was..until I looked closer:
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 7.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 7.JPG (6.9 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 2.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 2.JPG (4.02 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 4.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 4.JPG (6.8 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
The boxes at the base of the tower, for reference later.

Also, prior to my arrival, I did a bit of digging. On an old Instagram post from over two years ago, someone claimed this siren was a noon and 6:00 PM whistle. I knew just what to do.

Making History

Just before noon, I came back into town and set up. Given the state of the wiring on the tower, I was skeptical, to say the least.
IMG_6231.jpg
IMG_6231.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Just before noon, it sprang to life, and at that moment, I made history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKwt0Q8Piig
The first high-quality recording of a dual-rotor, dual-toned Fedelcode siren in existence.

The Dissapointment...and More Mystery

Fast forward to mid-January 2023. I'm living up in the area very close to this siren. I decided to pop down to check on it again. When I arrive, I saw signs that things were not well...
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 9.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 9.JPG (6.27 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Look at the left side of the picture; the Whelen has its antenna now...
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 10.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 10.JPG (7.09 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
The lock on the Disconnect is now cut open. It is still energized, strangely enough.
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 12.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 12.JPG (6.61 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
This small box under the head appears to have been gutted. The conduit leading to the siren exits this box.

However, I did manage to get a picture of the ID tag. Unlike the larger ones seen, this one is labeled as a Mach. 3:
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 11.JPG
Fedelcode Mach 3 Volga 11.JPG (6.16 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
The final nail in the coffin happened yesterday. When I came for noon, not a peep was heard. The town was silent and still. Here are some pictures from that trip:
IMG_7104.jpg
IMG_7104.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
Inside the disconnect, everything appears to be in order.
IMG_7113.jpg
IMG_7113.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 19638 times
The wiring on the new Vortex. The solar panel appears to be undersized, and yes, its cable is unprotected and unsecured. I have maximum confidence this siren will do well in its current state.

Conclusion - What's Next?

Despite its state, it still remains standing; however, I plan on making contact with the town to see what is to come of the siren. I do not possess the means of storing it at the moment, so if removal is imminent, I am going to request it be put in a local museum to preserve such a rare piece.

Thank you all for reading! I will update as more information is made known, and if anything is to come of the siren.

Cheers
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: An End of an Era - Federal Electric Mach. 3

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:26 pm

I'm glad that I was able to be a part of this historical event, and here's to saving that beast!
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:47 pm

Absolutely get after it!! That will be more history made right there!
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

LukeH

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 am

It belongs in the hands of a private collector or a museum for sure. That is a little piece of history that should be saved.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: An End of an Era - Federal Electric Mach. 3 (UPDATE!)

Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:55 am

UPDATE 2/21/23

- A Miracle -

There's a new chapter to this tale, so hold on tight!

To start, a slice of life outside of sirens: I recently started my new career path: a manufacturing engineer for a small construction equipment firm based in northeastern Iowa. The work has been tough, but now that I've started to get a lay of the land, the wheels are turning!

One day a few weeks ago, I shot a message to the Volga City website inquiring about the Fedelcode's fate, figuring it would take a few days to get a response. I didn't think much of it at first...oh how foolish that assumption was! An hour or so later, one of my coworkers approached my desk with my message on their phone, asking if I had sent it. I sheepishly reply in the affirmative, and he reveals himself as the Volga fire chief...kitty-cornered in the very office. We start chatting, and I discuss the siren's historical significance and rarity. He explains how there's no real use for it anymore and no urgent desire to remove it, but he would get the word out.

As if one miracle wasn't good enough, another just appeared today. He had heard back from the city council; I have some incredible news: the city has approved my request...the Fedelcode has been reserved. Ladies and gents, we got 'em!

The end is not in sight yet, however. I will have to be responsible for its removal once the power company comes in to disconnect the wires from the tower. Getting a crane and equipment will be challenging and expensive, but depending on time and cost (and transporting it...and finding a storage location...OK, there's still a lot to do!). If there's one thing that I'm good at, it's not losing hope; it will be done, all within a few months, ideally for a certain special occasion... ;)

The saga continues!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

TheSirenFan
YouTube Username: MasenMonster

Re: An End of an Era - Federal Electric Mach. 3 (UPDATE!)

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:21 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:55 am
UPDATE 2/21/23

- A Miracle -

There's a new chapter to this tale, so hold on tight!

To start, a slice of life outside of sirens: I recently started my new career path: a manufacturing engineer for a small construction equipment firm based in northeastern Iowa. The work has been tough, but now that I've started to get a lay of the land, the wheels are turning!

One day a few weeks ago, I shot a message to the Volga City website inquiring about the Fedelcode's fate, figuring it would take a few days to get a response. I didn't think much of it at first...oh how foolish that assumption was! An hour or so later, one of my coworkers approached my desk with my message on their phone, asking if I had sent it. I sheepishly reply in the affirmative, and he reveals himself as the Volga fire chief...kitty-cornered in the very office. We start chatting, and I discuss the siren's historical significance and rarity. He explains how there's no real use for it anymore and no urgent desire to remove it, but he would get the word out.

As if one miracle wasn't good enough, another just appeared today. He had heard back from the city council; I have some incredible news: the city has approved my request...the Fedelcode has been reserved. Ladies and gents, we got 'em!

The end is not in sight yet, however. I will have to be responsible for its removal once the power company comes in to disconnect the wires from the tower. Getting a crane and equipment will be challenging and expensive, but depending on time and cost (and transporting it...and finding a storage location...OK, there's still a lot to do!). If there's one thing that I'm good at, it's not losing hope; it will be done, all within a few months, ideally for a certain special occasion... ;)

The saga continues!
HOLY CRAP! This is siren enthusiast history being made right now! :o
Good luck on restoring it! :D

traintraveler

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:40 am

Absolutely amazing! Yet another rare siren has been saved.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

jerrylovessirens

Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:47 pm

Awesome news Connor! It would be awesome if you could bring it to Sirencon!
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:10 am

Glad another piece of important history gets to be preserved! Good job!
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

SentrySterling
YouTube Username: MidMoSirens

Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:13 am

A amazing piece of siren history discovered, recorded, and saved as well is a miracle. Congratulations man.
"Why am I on this website?" - Me

Mostly a forums lurker now.

MidMoSirens on YouTube
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0mltE ... wScFSSrLrg

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”