metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Jefferson County MO future system

Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:11 pm

After perusing the internet Saturday morning looking for bid information on St Louis City's new system I stumbled across bid info for a countywide system for Jefferson County MO. Jeffco as it's affectionately known, is the county immediately south of St Louis county and is where I reside. There is currently no countywide siren system in the county of around 225,000 people. The communities of Arnold, Pevely/Herculaneum (combined system), Fetus, DeSoto, and Hillsboro have their own systems. The info on the Jeffco MO government site show bids submitted by ATI, Federal Signal, Alertus of Baltimore MD, and HQE in California. Outdoor Warning Solutions of Wardsville MO submitted a bid for Whelen 2908s. I'm not sure who would receive the contract at this time. Rather shocked that ASC or any of their vendors have not turned in a bid. I know nothing about the sirens that HQE, or Alertus are proposing. Some kind of speaker array I'm not familiar with. Here is a link with the bids published. I'm very happy that Jeffco is finally going to put in a system. If anyone can provide insight into HQE or Alertus and their products it would be very helpful.
https://www.jeffcomo.org/bids.aspx?bidID=420

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Re: Jefferson County MO future system

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 am

Alertus offers Hörmann-style arrays. Their sirens are based off of Telegrafia products and use to come with Telegrafia controllers with European tones. These days they make their own controllers. There are a couple systems of the installed recently, such as Torrance, CA, and Galena Park, TX. There are a couple good test videos.
Last edited by HudsonRiverSirens on Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

metalstorm

Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Alertus offers Hörmann-style arrays. Their sirens are based off of SiRcom products and use to come with SiRcom controllers with European tones. These days they make their own controllers. There are a couple systems of the installed recently, such as Torrance, CA, and Galena Park, TX. There are a couple good test videos.
Thank you. I'll check those out.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:38 pm

metalstorm wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Alertus offers Hörmann-style arrays. Their sirens are based off of SiRcom products and use to come with SiRcom controllers with European tones. These days they make their own controllers. There are a couple systems of the installed recently, such as Torrance, CA, and Galena Park, TX. There are a couple good test videos.
Thank you. I'll check those out.
Also just found out that HQE is a SiRcom dealer. They installed Paradise’s system.
https://hqesystems.com/category/mass-notification/
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

metalstorm

Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:45 pm

Thank you again. I'm surprised FS turned in a bid for 2001-130s when the bid called for sirens capable of tone and voice.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 am

Alertus has been doing a lot of sales on the education side of things, so it would be interesting to see if they were to win this and a countywide system of HPSAs go up. HQE/SiRcom has been doing more on the military side especially since WAVES went defunct a couple of years ago. They've been picking up a lot of the Marine Corps systems, and I assume that the colleges with Cooper and Eaton era WAVES equipment will eventually convert over to the SiRcom activation and monitoring suite. Neither have moved outside of those markets except for in a few areas, so I'd imagine both companies will be fighting pretty hard to win this especially against ATI.
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Alertus actually didn't use any SiRcom equipment - that was WAVES very early on when the company was owned by MadahCom and for maybe a year or so under Cooper Notifications. Originally, their HPSA lineup was sourced from another company, but I believe they used Telegrafia as their provider. The horns and controllers were identical to the Pavian series aside from the brand logo on the castings and boxes; the German company Helin apparently did this as well but decided to use modular horns like what Hörmann and some of the other companies used as opposed to the clamp-on style ones that Telegrafia and SiRcom/WAVES uses. In around 2022 Alertus changed to using their own in-house controllers, but they did keep the horn design. I'd imagine the US-produced controllers are less expensive since they wouldn't have to ship them over the water. As far as I know they no longer use the European tones, but I suspect the controllers are capable of it considering they still emit a sine-ish sounding tone and the boards have two audio outputs. They probably have the capability of doing dual tone on them like Whelen does with the ESC-2030 but they don't use it.

Torrance, CA has older units with Telegrafia controls but uses the Alertus tone generator in what I believe to be the TTS module for their system. They seem to be using live PA mode for their sirens are the last test had a bit of static come through while the siren were running. VCU in Richmond, VA has early units as well and actually uses the tone generator on theirs. Galena Park, TX has newer controllers, but they haven't gotten around to testing their system yet so we don't know what they sound like. Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN has newer units too, but I don't believe they are tied into the county's system. I don't know if there are any videos for that system online from the tornado warning, but I will look to see.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

metalstorm

Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:13 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 am
Alertus has been doing a lot of sales on the education side of things, so it would be interesting to see if they were to win this and a countywide system of HPSAs go up. HQE/SiRcom has been doing more on the military side especially since WAVES went defunct a couple of years ago. They've been picking up a lot of the Marine Corps systems, and I assume that the colleges with Cooper and Eaton era WAVES equipment will eventually convert over to the SiRcom activation and monitoring suite. Neither have moved outside of those markets except for in a few areas, so I'd imagine both companies will be fighting pretty hard to win this especially against ATI.
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Alertus actually didn't use any SiRcom equipment - that was WAVES very early on when the company was owned by MadahCom and for maybe a year or so under Cooper Notifications. Originally, their HPSA lineup was sourced from another company, but I believe they used Telegrafia as their provider. The horns and controllers were identical to the Pavian series aside from the brand logo on the castings and boxes; the German company Helin apparently did this as well but decided to use modular horns like what Hörmann and some of the other companies used as opposed to the clamp-on style ones that Telegrafia and SiRcom/WAVES uses. In around 2022 Alertus changed to using their own in-house controllers, but they did keep the horn design. I'd imagine the US-produced controllers are less expensive since they wouldn't have to ship them over the water. As far as I know they no longer use the European tones, but I suspect the controllers are capable of it considering they still emit a sine-ish sounding tone and the boards have two audio outputs. They probably have the capability of doing dual tone on them like Whelen does with the ESC-2030 but they don't use it.

Torrance, CA has older units with Telegrafia controls but uses the Alertus tone generator in what I believe to be the TTS module for their system. They seem to be using live PA mode for their sirens are the last test had a bit of static come through while the siren were running. VCU in Richmond, VA has early units as well and actually uses the tone generator on theirs. Galena Park, TX has newer controllers, but they haven't gotten around to testing their system yet so we don't know what they sound like. Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN has newer units too, but I don't believe they are tied into the county's system. I don't know if there are any videos for that system online from the tornado warning, but I will look to see.
Feeling a little more educated after that. Probably won't hear anything until the New Year. I personally would like to see Whelen or FS. They are well proven and pretty reliable and the Whelens carry very well

Return to “Community Systems”