Greenrid

Oldest Thunderbolt sirens in existence

Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:07 pm

I've been wondering before about the oldest Thunderbolt siren before, and I wanted to know where it was originally located before being moved to Fire Station 32 in Wichita, Kansas. I know it says where it was originally located on the Thunderbolt siren map, but that doesn't give a close to exact spot of where it was before.

Another thing I've been wondering: What is the oldest 1000T and 1003 still in existence, and where are they located?
Proud owner of the FULL 508 siren map! https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

Hoping to get some sirens in the future...

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Oldest Thunderbolt sirens in existence

Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:29 pm

...Presently,there is one one here in Topeka that went in service early 1967 and 1 more that predates that one 5 to 10 years atop the old Southwestern Bell bldg..
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

SomeDudeSD

Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:44 pm

Oldest 1003 on record is the one in Benson, MN. And Station 32's 'Bolt is the second oldest in existence, the actual oldest one is in private possession in Tennessee.
Nothing to see here, folks

Greenrid

Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:37 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:29 pm
...Presently,there is one one here in Topeka that went in service early 1967 and 1 more that predates that one 5 to 10 years atop the old Southwestern Bell bldg..
I'm not sure those are as old as the oldest Thunderbolt 1000s In existence, because the first ones were made in 1952.

Unit of Civil Defense

Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:49 am

....I never implied that they where the oldest....at least I provide actual dates.
Topeka and Shawnee county have a storied history in regards to the Thunderbolts as well as the other sirens that where active thru out the city and county thru out the last 65- 70 years. Topeka was home to Forbes Air Force Base. Forbes became part of the Strategic Air Command July 1st 1948. As the Korean War and later the Cold War with Communist Russia wore on, Forbes Air Force Base played an increasing important roll in regards to the protection of the United States and its allies from the threat of nuclear attacks.....in other words Topeka and the surrounding area was becoming a target for a nuclear strike that would have, by all accounts, reduced the area to smoldering dust and ash.
In October 1958 Topeka received news that Forbes AFB would support 9 Atlas E missile sites to be constructed in the surrounding area to "allegedly" protect Forbes from a nuclear missile attack. It would have been around this time that the Thunderbolts would have been put in service in the city where as there easily could have been the very first Thunderbolts ever produced , already in service, at the air base to warn Air force personnel of attacks .

This is one of the Thunderbolts that would have been placed in service sometime around Oct. 1958. This located in downtown Topeka atop the old Southwestern Bell bldg.

Good luck with your search, your going to need all the help you can get...
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Greenrid

Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:53 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:49 am
....I never implied that they where the oldest....at least I provide actual dates.
Topeka and Shawnee county have a storied history in regards to the Thunderbolts as well as the other sirens that where active thru out the city and county thru out the last 65- 70 years. Topeka was home to Forbes Air Force Base. Forbes became part of the Strategic Air Command July 1st 1948. As the Korean War and later the Cold War with Communist Russia wore on, Forbes Air Force Base played an increasing important roll in regards to the protection of the United States and its allies from the threat of nuclear attacks.....in other words Topeka and the surrounding area was becoming a target for a nuclear strike that would have, by all accounts, reduced the area to smoldering dust and ash.
In October 1958 Topeka received news that Forbes AFB would support 9 Atlas E missile sites to be constructed in the surrounding area to "allegedly" protect Forbes from a nuclear missile attack. It would have been around this time that the Thunderbolts would have been put in service in the city where as there easily could have been the very first Thunderbolts ever produced , already in service, at the air base to warn Air force personnel of attacks .

This is one of the Thunderbolts that would have been placed in service sometime around Oct. 1958. This located in downtown Topeka atop the old Southwestern Bell bldg.

Good luck with your search, your going to need all the help you can get...
Sorry about that. I thought you were implying those Thunderbolts were the oldest!

Unit of Civil Defense

Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:47 am

...No apologies needed...
I can recall my late Father ,at one time, telling about the warning system at Forbes. He was stationed there in the late 50's - early 60's. He spoke of the sirens, but didn't elaborate on what he remembered them looking like. This conversation took place many years ago, pre internet, so I couldn't bring up pictures to jog his memory.

I don't know if this could be a possibility as far as what was at Forbes(thinking out loud), but the V.A Hospital has an 500AT...since these are/where local Gov't facilities, whats the possibility of Forbes field having first gen. 500AT's 1953-1960's???? .....something to think about I suppose.
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Hacksaw

Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:12 pm

I see Thunderbolt installation news articles as far back as 1952:

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the- ... 136721359/

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:42 pm

Here's one that was installed in Reading, OH in 1953. It no longer works, but was installed atop Patheon Pharmaceuticals. It still stands there to this day. It is a 1000.
Reading T Bolt 1953.PNG
Reading T Bolt 1953.PNG (926.88 KiB) Viewed 46985 times

Just outside of Pleasant Ridge, OH in Amberly village, there was a 1953 Thunderbolt 1000T located in French Park. It was removed and scrapped around 2013 from my recollection.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

Greenrid

Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:29 pm

Does anyone know where the oldest 1000T is? I've been wondering about that one for awhile.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”