T-BoltLover55

Hearing Protection?

Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 am

Hi! So I was watching siren stuff on YouTube, and I thought: "How do peoples ears not get destroyed by these things?" And that's why I'm wondering what kind of hearing protection is best for siren hunting. Because I got some hearing protection for my fire alarm collection that blocks out 28 dB, but then I thought that if I were to see a P-50, It would still be over 100 dB. So if there is any hearing protection that can make sirens not destroy my ears, I would love to hear about it. Thanks! :D

Side note: Hawai'i Siren Map coming soon
I love Thunderbolts!

washington

YouTube Username: @SirensOfWA
Discord: @imperialisticamerican

Re: Hearing Protection?

Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:47 am

Just use some standard headphone style hearing protection or you can use some noise cancelling headphones like AirPods Pros.
15 year old siren enthusiast and YouTuber from Spokane Washington.
If you happen to have any info on my city's old siren system PM me. all info appreciated.

Randomizer

Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:35 am

washington wrote:
Just use some standard headphone style hearing protection or you can use some noise cancelling headphones like AirPods Pros.
This is terrible advice no one should follow if listening to a siren up close. Noise cancelling headphones use certain frequencies to cancel out ambient noise entering the seal of the can on the skin. They provide absolutely no protection against sound pressure. For that you need something heavy duty like what is used when guns are fired at a range or for industrial applications.

T-BoltLover55

Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm

Randomizer wrote:
washington wrote:
This is terrible advice no one should follow if listening to a siren up close. Noise cancelling headphones use certain frequencies to cancel out ambient noise entering the seal of the can on the skin. They provide absolutely no protection against sound pressure. For that you need something heavy duty like what is used when guns are fired at a range or for industrial applications.
Ok thanks! I will start looking. :D :D
I love Thunderbolts!

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:06 pm

I use a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/Onhear-Protectio ... 109&sr=8-8 and they work fantastically. I'd recommend getting a pair of these.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

siren fan

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:55 pm

Best of the best are Howard Leights.
https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/

washington

YouTube Username: @SirensOfWA
Discord: @imperialisticamerican

Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:56 am

Randomizer wrote:
washington wrote:
Sorry man, all I have listened to up close is a Modulator and it worked fine.
15 year old siren enthusiast and YouTuber from Spokane Washington.
If you happen to have any info on my city's old siren system PM me. all info appreciated.

ThatGuy2020

Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:18 am

I use 3M E-A-R Model 1000 headphones for siren tests and to run my two sirens. They are cheap, light, and work great. Unless you’re WarningSirensOfMichiana, then you go with nothing (how do they do it???)
Greetings from the state that can’t decide if it’s winter or summer!

KidCrazer14

YouTube Username: WarningSirensofUpstateNY

Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 am

I use these: https://www.harborfreight.com/reusable- ... 58455.html

Or these: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Junior ... B0015UX2EK (Yes, I've had them for a while and they still fit me)

Which one I use usually depends on how I'm feeling (Usually I just go with the earplugs)
I'm from Rensselaer County, NY, where we have a wide variety of sirens!

ThatGuy2020

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:53 pm

washington wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:56 am
Randomizer wrote:
washington wrote:
Sorry man, all I have listened to up close is a Modulator and it worked fine.
That makes sense that it worked for a modulator, but never do that even if it worked in the past. It is a more steady tone, and noise canceling is meant for steady tones, like an aircraft or a lawnmower or something.
Greetings from the state that can’t decide if it’s winter or summer!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”