ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

kanazo wrote:
ver tum wrote:Here's the link to the other recording of that siren.

http://media.putfile.com/Doss-Tornado-Warning

This was recorded on Friday, May 7, 2006, during a tornado warning. The storm had already passed my mom and dad's house, which is where I was, and it was about 6 o'clock in the afternoon. That siren is still very loud when it points at the house, even from a quarter of a mile away. You can hear several other sirens in the bacground, including some 2001's, an ASC Alertronic that sounds like a very high pitched Hurricane, and several other TBolts. One of the other TBolts had a broken rotator when this was recorded.
any plans of recording the Hurricane?

It's actually an ASC Alertronic, and not a Hurricane, but it sort of sounds like a very high pitched Hurricane. I know where it is located, and when I can get someone to drive me down there, I'll record it. I've also yet to get a good recording of one of our 2001's up close. We also have a dual tone Modulator in Water Front Park, and I plan on recording that one as well. I do have a recording of the single tone Modulator at the University of Louisville, which I'll post soon.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

ver tum

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Anybody notice my pocket weather radio talking near the beginning of the Tornado Warning recording?
Josh
Audio
YouTube

ver tum

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Josh
Audio
YouTube

red04stanggt

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:35 pm

I SO want to hear a 1000T in person. I've yet to hear one. All we have in KC is 2001's, 3T,s and T-1000 bolts

ver tum

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 pm

red04stanggt wrote:I SO want to hear a 1000T in person. I've yet to hear one. All we have in KC is 2001's, 3T,s and T-1000 bolts

Hearing a 1000T in person, right next to the siren, is a great experience. As the siren starts, you can feel the air all around you pulsing with the sound, and I don't think you'll feel the same thing with a 1000. You definitely won't feel the pulses with a 2001. I'd love to be next to a lower piched 1000T when it starts up. Wow!

Before I knew how the Thunderbolt sirens worked, I used to think they were older electronic sirens, since the 1000T's have a distorted tone with several harmonics, and the volume stays relatively the same all the way through the Attack signal, unlike most other electro-mechanical sirens. A little over 11 years ago, someone at Emergency Management told me they were electro-mechanical sirens, and I didn't believe him. It wasn't until a couple of years ago, when I visited CivilDefenseMuseum.com, and this site, that I realized how these sirens really work. So, I decided that on the next siren test day, that I was going to be as close to the Doss Highschool siren as I could be, when it sounded. I wanted to see if I could hear the chopper wind down after the blower shut off, and as you heard in that recording, I did. If you listen closely to the beginning of that recording, you can even hear the switches in the siren turn on as it starts.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 am

red04stanggt wrote:I SO want to hear a 1000T in person. I've yet to hear one. All we have in KC is 2001's, 3T,s and T-1000 bolts
Back before olathe replaced the siren over on 151st st by olathe south high school, that use to be a 1000T. However, in 2005 or so is when it was replaced with a 2001. :(

ver tum

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 pm

In the Tornado Warning recording, the second Thunderbolt you hear is the one that had the broken rotator. I found out that that siren is located two or three miles from Mom and Dad's house, at Kerrick Elementary School, on Upper Hunters Trace. It sounds like that siren is pointing at Mom and Dad's house the whole time. Ironically, Emergency Management had just restored that siren, and put it up as a replacement siren, about five months before that recording was made.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

red04stanggt

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 pm

md5 wrote:
Back before olathe replaced the siren over on 151st st by olathe south high school, that use to be a 1000T. However, in 2005 or so is when it was replaced with a 2001. :(
really? Do you konw of any others that are remotely close to JOCO?

eaglecomm

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Only 1000T I know of in JOCO is the one located in Westwood at the City Park (off Rainbow Blvd). I remember seeing it a few years ago, however, they very well could have replaced it by now.

Liberty, MO also has a few 1000T's as well as Emporia, KS (think they have 2-rest are Allertor's and 2001's)

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:38 pm

eaglecomm wrote:Only 1000T I know of in JOCO is the one located in Westwood at the City Park (off Rainbow Blvd). I remember seeing it a few years ago, however, they very well could have replaced it by now.

Liberty, MO also has a few 1000T's as well as Emporia, KS (think they have 2-rest are Allertor's and 2001's)
Emporia KS has one of their Allertor's near the kansas turnpike. If i remember right, the coloring was a really faded light yellow.

When i get the chance to later on in the coming weeks, I'll drive up by Westwood at the city park area. :)
red04stanggt wrote:
md5 wrote:
really? Do you konw of any others that are remotely close to JOCO?
Not that I know of now. :(
--bc

Return to “Videos and Media”