AllSafe

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Kockumsonics Tyfonic systems look very promising. And no one has mentioned Hormann ECN.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Melvin Potts

ATI Sirens Really Are Crap

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 pm

The thing that scares me the most is that cities, such as Nashville, Tn, are going with the ATI's, and Nashville has had a lot of tornado warnings.
Nashville has had the system for about 5 years. I've heard several of them during the 1st Saturday test.

The sound is most unimpressive. It's too high pitched for one thing.

We have mostly the 4 speaker models which are rated 121 DB at 100'; a few of the 8 speaker ones which are 127 DB at 100'.

I mentioned on another post that when the previous mayor announced the siren project ASC demonstrated a T-121; ran it up to full speed then shut it off.

The city would've been much better off with this siren..or several other types..than with the ATI.

SirenMadness

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:23 pm

What makes me sick is that ATI sirens are rated at such a high level of sound while producing such an annoying tone. Thank God that ATI sirens can do more than just beep - I've heard their samples of sound a while back, and I must say that the wail mode is not nearly as annoying as the other signals that ATI siren produce.
~ Peter Radanovic

500 AT fan

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Yuck. I do NOT like the looks of those ATI systems. They look like cruddy megaphones badly pasted to a pole! O_O

jkvernon

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Because it's not like Whelen discontinued the 3016 and the 4008 or anything.

500 AT fan

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm

jkvernon wrote:Because it's not like Whelen discontinued the 3016 and the 4008 or anything.
It's called "MONEY!" Apparantly, the ATI's were cheaper, so, the city people wanted what was cheapest... They care only about MONEY! Anyways, does anyone have a Youtube video of one of these "Things" in action? I'm sorry if my comment on them earlier was too harsh, but I heard they really sound not so good. :roll:

Whelen Rules

Re: ATI Sirens Really Are Crap

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 am

Melvin Potts wrote:
The thing that scares me the most is that cities, such as Nashville, Tn, are going with the ATI's, and Nashville has had a lot of tornado warnings.
Nashville has had the system for about 5 years. I've heard several of them during the 1st Saturday test.

The sound is most unimpressive. It's too high pitched for one thing.

We have mostly the 4 speaker models which are rated 121 DB at 100'; a few of the 8 speaker ones which are 127 DB at 100'.

I mentioned on another post that when the previous mayor announced the siren project ASC demonstrated a T-121; ran it up to full speed then shut it off.

The city would've been much better off with this siren..or several other types..than with the ATI.
Melvin is it possible you could get a video or recording of one of Nashvilles ATI's? This coming Tuesday looks promising for severe weather for Middle Tennessee. If Nashville goes under a tornado warning perhaps you may be able to get a clip. If not mabe during the next test?
Tyler Lund

mgear

Re: ATI sirens really are crap!

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:48 am

ver tum wrote:I've heard that not only are ATI sirens built like crap, they also sound like crap. I just did a search on YouTube for ATI siren videos, with no results. If anyone has an audio or video clip of one of these in action, I'd like to hear how bad they actually sound.

I hope they just keep the ACA sirens in service. Those are good sirens, and I think it would be cheaper for them to do what they do here in Louisville, and refurbish their old sirens. We have Thunderbolt 1000T's here, and when one needs to be replaced, our Emergency Management Agency always has a refurbished Thunderbolt at the ready. We also have 2001's and Modulators, but they're almost always found where there had never previously been a siren before. I only know of one of our TBolts that was replaced by a new siren, an ASC Alertronic. Most of the time, all of our sirens work, and some of them are very old. So, if the ACA sirens at Indian Point still work, why replace them with cheap ATI crap? They would probably save a lot of money by refurbishing their older sirens like we've done.

The thing that scares me the most is that cities, such as Nashville, Tn, are going with the ATI's, and Nashville has had a lot of tornado warnings. Like another post said earlier, government officials should do research on sirens before they even buy them. The government officials are almost just as much to blame as ATI.
Here you go,apart from the Flintstones joke the sirens don't sound bad.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... iren&hl=en
Sean Matt

kagome122885

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:23 am

"Wal-mart sirens" is what I would call ATI's garbage. EMA directors should not be fooled by ATI's products, because the devil is in the details.
Federal Signal Thunderbolt Series, still the King of Air Raid Sirens!

jkvernon

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:51 am

The ATI in the Flintstones video uses a clip from an STL10. It's not an original tone. It's actually causing all these driver failures because it's so low pitched.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”