http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=27729811
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Whelen Rules

Re: ATI in Nashville

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:13 am

2t22boy wrote:toward the middle it just goes away...no wind down:(
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=27729811
They don't have a wind up either. That is just pitiful!!!
Tyler Lund

coyoteunknown

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 am

I'd actually call and complain to the city EVERY time that thing was activated. Whether it was for a test or an actual warning. I think I'd rather let the tornado hit me, than have to survive and listen to that thing again some other day.

Whelen Rules

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:25 am

coyoteunknown wrote:I'd actually call and complain to the city EVERY time that thing was activated. Whether it was for a test or an actual warning. I think I'd rather let the tornado hit me, than have to survive and listen to that thing again some other day.
I think ATI might be on to something. They try to irritate a person until they can't take it anymore and go to the safety inside where they can't hear it :lol:
Tyler Lund

eaglecomm

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Here's another one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mzri4fzfjrk

One would think that a large city such as Nashville would have a good enough budget to install a decent siren system (Feds, ASC's, Whelens, etc) instead of those crap ATI whistles. :roll:

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

AllSafe

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 pm

The average cost of a single ATI installation, as I understand it, costs almost as much as installing two Whelen 2809s!
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:55 am

AllSafe wrote:The average cost of a single ATI installation, as I understand it, costs almost as much as installing two Whelen 2809s!
But weren't they originally looking for the lowest bid? I mean, if that was their objective, then they should've seen right away that those crappy ATI's were more expensive and went with another manufacturer, like a Whelen or something. :roll:
-Ian M.

eaglecomm

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:53 am

Seems like ATI always submits a lower bid than other manufacturers. Take Overland Park, KS for instance-back in 2004 the city wanted to continue upgrades on their warning siren system. Prior to that, Federal/Blue Valley Public Safety had already replaced the city's Thunderbolts, beams, 2T22's with 2001's.

In 04 when they wanted to add 4 additional sirens, OPKS got two bids: one from Federal/BVPS at the price of $75,015.20, the other ATI at $71, 650. As some of you are well aware, Federal has their own (proprietary) encoding and transmitting "tones" for activation of the newer siren equipment. Naturally OPKS rejected ATI's bid because their equipment wouldn't be compatible with the existing system. The ATI rep got his panties in a bunch and tried disputing the fact that Federal's encoding method was proprietary, and swore up and down his equipment would work with the existing setup. Sounded like a rather pathetic, desparate sales attempt if you ask me, but it's fairly typical of most ATI reps.

I know one thing for sure, OP made a smart move by keeping the Federal bid-otherwise they would have been screwed, and ended up paying for 2 different systems.

Sources:
http://www.opfd.com/_Assets/agendas/ps/ ... /ACT-3.PDF
OPKS Bid Tabulation from 2004

http://www.opkansas.org/_Assets/agendas ... CT-7-1.PDF
OPKS City Council Minutes

Melvin Potts

ATI in Nashville

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:47 am

I think ATI might be on to something. They try to irritate a person until they can't take it anymore and go to the safety inside where they can't hear it
There may be something to that.......

Return to “Videos and Media”