Mr.Thunderbolt

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Now thats a siren recording! Great job!

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for all the links! That University of Hawaii Manoa 1000T sounds just like the sick Trunnel Thunderbolt 1000T would have sounded if it wasn't having chopper motor problems.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

reception73

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm

mhmcdonal wrote:Sure is, here's the exact sirens you were hearing in the sound clip:
Ala Wai Boat harbor EOWS 612
Waikiki Library 1000T
Ala Wai park 1000T - took a picture of this one yesterday and it has a plastic bag inside the horn now and is 1/2 full of trash. Doesn't stop it from sounding though!!!
I was a passenger yesterday and you are correct, the Ala Wai Park siren is 1/2 full of trash. :( Those videos, heck all of them which I did are fun, even the three that didn't function on test day are an experience to remember.

click for large The panel of the Ala Wai Boat Harbor EOWS 612.

As for the audio clip, it's quite awesome. It sounds like the first video I did. Where in town was this :?:
Last edited by reception73 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhmcdonal

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 am

Welcome aboard reception73. Thank you for joining.

To get that recording, I went to the outskirts of Ala Wai community park. Here's a picture of where I was at.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=21.2 ... 8&t=h&z=18

I parked my car in that parking lot, and I stood on one of those canoe docks you can see on the water's edge.

kswx29

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 am

What do you mean half full of trash, do people throw trash into the horn? Is it that low mounted?
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

reception73

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:59 pm

mhmcdonal wrote:Welcome aboard reception73. Thank you for joining.

To get that recording, I went to the outskirts of Ala Wai community park. Here's a picture of where I was at.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=21.2 ... 8&t=h&z=18

I parked my car in that parking lot, and I stood on one of those canoe docks you can see on the water's edge.
And the reason why it sounds like my first siren video is because I live in the area not too far away. Too bad I don't seem to hear a trace of the Waikiki post office Modulator.

CosmicCharms5T

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 am

OHHHH NO!!!!!!!!!! That was horrible! What happened to their SD10's?? I was hoping this recording was of SD10's... Does Hawiee still have them?

mhmcdonal

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:27 am

CosmicCharms5T wrote:OHHHH NO!!!!!!!!!! That was horrible! What happened to their SD10's?? I was hoping this recording was of SD10's... Does Hawiee still have them?
In this day and age of disappearing dual tone electromechanical sirens, you call this horrible?

There are still plenty of SD-10's around Oahu, but they weren't heard in the video since I was not in the vicinity of one. My original intent was to primarily be in the coverage area with multiple Thunderbolt 1000T sirens.

If you are a 9/12 port ratio fan (assuming by your name), watch my earlier SD-10 video.

watch your grammar!<--click here.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:58 pm

mhmcdonal wrote:In this day and age of disappearing dual tone electromechanical sirens, you call this horrible?

There are still plenty of SD-10's around Oahu, but they weren't heard in the video since I was not in the vicinity of one. My original intent was to primarily be in the coverage area with multiple Thunderbolt 1000T sirens.

If you are a 9/12 port ratio fan (assuming by your name), watch my earlier SD-10 video.

watch your grammar!<--click here.

The sound of a bunch of Thunderbolt 1000T's and or 1003's is one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard, and to be able to hear that sound in a stereo recording is almost equivalent to being out there while they're sounding. Great wind-down too! I listened to your recording more closely, and I could hear that EOWS 612 pretty well. It sounded like the 612 may have been having rotator problems.

Also, I'd like to thank you for the direct link to the file. That recording took a while to download on my computer, but it was worth the wait! Great job, and thanks for sharing it with us!

BTW, you may want to consider adding an MP3 version of this recording, because people with slower internet connections may have trouble downloading the Wav version.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

CosmicCharms5T

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:51 pm

mhmcdonal wrote:In this day and age of disappearing dual tone electromechanical sirens, you call this horrible?
Oh hey, I wasn't knocking your recording. I was just hoping to hear some SD10's. Personally, I am not a fan at all of any electronic speaker siren. ( All junk to my ears) and Thunderbolts are "ok". There are 1 or 2 T-Bolt 1003's on Long Island still running. This is Just my opinion. I grew up around SD10's, Model 2, 3, 5 and 7's exclusively, so for me these type of sirens are music to my ears. Nice SD10 video!!
Everyone in hear has their own taste as to what sirens they like best, but to my ears, and what I have heard.. Imagine what 6 SD10's, a T-Bolt 1003 and 2 diaphone's sounded like all in a 2.2 square mile radious!!!! That was Mineola New York from the 1950's to the 1990's!! Everytime they had a fire call it was like WWIII air raid city!! Good stuff!

I think the SD10 and Model 5/7T sirens are the best soudning sirens ever made.

Return to “Videos and Media”