mhmcdonal

EOWS & SD10 fell silent

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:01 am

Tough day for me and Reception73 as well.

The EOWS 1212 had dead/malfunctioning batteries, and sounded like a dying electronic toy. :(
Spoke to the Civil Defense Comm. Officer, and he said that siren was giving troubles in the past. I still filmed the siren for the YouTubers, and I'll give you folks the recorded audio and pictures.

youtube video, dead EOWS 1212:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLC7mYF8028

Civil Defense EAS broadcast mp3

Dead EOWS 1212 & SD-10 mp3 from recorder

reception73's video, non-operational SD-10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznRjjT9t6U

Aina Haina/Wailupe Elementary Park EOWS 1212
high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

high resolution link

my vantage point: sitting in the park.
high resolution link

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:10 am

Holy crap. Adam Pollak also went to record two sirens today (in different counties, and SD10 and 1003) and BOTH of those sirens failed as well. Four failures in one day form two states is really bad!

kswx29

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:54 am

That's not good. I wonder what was up with the EOWS1212. Maybe who ever left the graffiti messed around with the controls or something. Nice pictures and good recording!
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:13 am

2t22boy wrote:... Maybe who ever left the graffiti messed around with the controls or something. Nice pictures and good recording!
Good point, but aren't those boxes locked? Looks like it from the pictures.

On another note, a couple of mine were messed up last Wednesday. They kept blowing fuses in the disconnect for some reason. Hopefully I have them fixed now, but I guess I'll have to find out tomorrow!
-Ian M.

500 AT fan

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:37 am

The sirens must be on strike. :roll:

Archon

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:01 am

I am doing a Sentry 10V2T today Hope it goes off

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:07 am

Archon wrote:I am doing a Sentry 10V2T today Hope it goes off
Me too, seeing as a lot of the sirens haven't been going off lately for those of us that have been trying to record the tests. What city is the 10V2T in?
-Ian M.

mhmcdonal

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 am

500 AT fan wrote:The sirens must be on strike. :roll:
Quite the cruel April Fools Joke these sirens are playing on us enthusiasts.. :?

After talking with C.D. comm officer, I was able to get some questions answered, well except why that one Thunderbolt 1000T is so high pitched. I gotta get back to him on that.

I finally obtained a list of all the specific siren locations on the island. Time to take pictures.

I will soon be surrounded by Modulators & DSAs. A MOD6024 will soon echo in my valley, a DSA by the beach about 1/2 a mile away will alert swimmers, and another MOD6024 will cover those nice hilltop houses.

The old electromechanical sirens like the STH/STL-10s, 2t22s, Thunderbolts, Thunderbeams, and SD-10s don't get scrapped, but rather are "organ donors" when they are replaced by a Modulator/DSA. Their good internal/external parts are either used to fix our current electromechanicals, or sent to other places that need a siren or spare mechanical siren parts like outer island areas and California. Looks like I will not be getting an electromechanical siren from CD anytime soon, but at least I know they're not just being thrown away/shredded.

All newer sirens are to be voice capable/solar powered by the time all the older electromechanicals go out to other places. EOWS 612's and EOWS 1212's are disabled from being voice capable due to CB radio actually being voiced over the siren.

We are apparently getting ASC i-Force sirens soon. A first for Hawaii.

ATI has clearly disappointed CD here during their siren audition with their malfunctioning amplifiers and exposed wiring :lol:

Some of the siren malfunctions here are due to geckos crawling around in the control boxes and short circuiting electronic components/relays, such as the Thunderbolt 1000T that went off in 2006 in the middle of November.

reception73

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:05 am

How unlucky can I get? This is the 4th time a siren didn't activate. 2nd month in a row. :(

At Kahala Mall my parents heard no sirens in the parking lot at 11:45 AM.

coyoteunknown

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:03 am

Sorry to hear y'alls bad luck. I too always managed to find dead sirens back in Jonesboro, Ar. They'd be functional, but fail to activate for whatever reason.

A Sentry 16V1T-B failed to activate one time, and the next time it came on about 10 minutes after the others had just finished sounding. I got to the point where I lost interest in recording sirens.

The last time Siloam Springs sirens sounded was on February 8th, which I have a system recording of them on youtube. Otherwise, the latest test dates keep getting pushed back due to the threat of weather. April 4ths test has been canceled now too, grrr.

Return to “Videos and Media”