RamFett

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:19 am

Cool! The battery cabinet is interesting. Is that normal procedure to just hook up a bunch of car batteries, or just a practical improvisation?

Also, is there anything technically different with the roundback version, or just a rounded motor cowling? I must say, it makes for a much more aesthetically pleasing 2001.

kswx29

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:46 am

Nice detailed pictures. That battery cabinet does look a bit odd. The siren seems to be mounted a bit low.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

coyoteunknown

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:08 am

They should have stayed with the round-back design, as it was aesthetically pleasing. I wonder why exactly they went to a rectangular design? I guess because it was easier to fabricate?

Please check your mail when you have a moment Derek regarding gas money/Allertor. :) I sent a reply a week or so ago and haven't heard anything, so I resent another reply.

Brendan Ahern

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:56 am

I've heard the reason for the discontinuing of the roundback. First was that ACA filed a lawsuit saying the 2001 was a copycat penetrator. I do not know if that is true or not as neither company has given me a solid answer. I do know the why they changed the design for 1996 when they made the cone in the projector larger. They switched motor manufacturers and the new motor would not fit behind the siren, so they put it in the cone. The first time I saw one of these was in 1997 when Chicago started building its system. Now it seems the most common.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:47 pm

RamFett wrote:Cool! The battery cabinet is interesting. Is that normal procedure to just hook up a bunch of car batteries, or just a practical improvisation?
Those are deep cycle marine batteries, not car batteries. They weigh about twice as much and have way more capacity than a car battery. The sirens at the base where I work use the also, except they use Phoenix sealed batteries instead of AC Delco Voyagers

Also take note of the heating pads wrapped around each of the batteries.

thunderbolt69

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:40 pm

I wonder why Federal Signal changed it from from roundback to rectangular.

Daniel

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:55 pm

So, in other words, in the roundback version, the motor is behind the rotor rather than in front of it?
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

siren fan

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:27 am

I always wondered what kind of batteries sirens used for backup power?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”