3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

my 7T

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:23 am

As I mentioned in the general discussion section I picked up one of New Haven CT's 7T yesterday. Here's a little history on it. It was installed on a 7 story building fairly close to I-91 (you could see it from exit 2) near downdown New Haven. I'm not sure how long ago it happened but do to the salt air the housing was compleatly distroyed. The top half rotted away long before it was taken down. Judging by the tags it was installed some time in the 60's. The building owner claimed it was interfearing with cell phone reception in the building, and was glad to see it come down. It was removed the hard way, down 7 flights of stairs.

Here's some specs on it:

motor 7 1/2HP 220VAC 3 phase
rotor/stator 9/12
rough estimate of year 1960's (the motor tag says "Federal Sign and Signal")

As promised here's a few pics of it from yesterday. I only managed to get 3 pics, counting the one I posted in the faces of the forum thread because it was loaded up quickly and I was exhausted after unloading.

The siren with the stator removed and the housing remains sitting in the truck. You can also see the housing support which is still attached to the stator sticking up from the largest piece of the housing remains. The air intake was missing, probably rotted away too. You can also see why I tossed the housing

The siren with the stator re-attached after finally muscling it into my storage bin. As you can see it's in fairly decent shape aside from some surface rust. The rotor spins smoothly with just a slight bit of noise from one of the bearings, which I plan on adding a little grease to

And of course after 3 hours of getting it off the truck, dragging and trying to roll it to the basment door, dragging it across the basment to the steps, up the steps, than finally getting it in the bin, I had to go out and buy this today :lol:

I'll go back down to the bin tomorrow to get some more detailed pics as my neighbors were in and out of their bins most of the day today.

thunderbolt69

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:31 pm

It appears that the housing is broken. What color would you repaint it to?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Can't wait to hear it, those 9/12 sirens sound like some wounded animal crying from a distance.

Never heard of a siren interfering with cell phone reception unless its screaming in your ear.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:01 pm

thunderbolt69 wrote:It appears that the housing is broken. What color would you repaint it to?
That's what 40+ years of sitting on a 7 story building in the salty long island sound air will do to sheet metal. It was very brittle from all the rust rot and really nothing I could of done to save it. Last time I saw it before I picked it up, it was still on the building and the bottom half of the housing was intact. As for color, the motor will be dark gray, the stator and housing support hammered metal gray, rotor, I'll pollish up to give it a nice shine, and once I find a housing it'll be CD yellow.
Can't wait to hear it, those 9/12 sirens sound like some wounded animal crying from a distance.
That's going to be a problem concidering the siren's 3 phased. I do plan on getting a phase converter at some point down the road as my 5 and M-5 are also 3 phased.

Never heard of a siren interfering with cell phone reception unless its screaming in your ear.
Same here. Personally I think the building owner wanted it removed because it was an "eyesore". There was roof work being done at the time of removal, which supports my theory. I'd still love to know if the controls are still in the building (they maybe). I'll ask the seller about that.

Archon

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:24 pm

That siren looks to be from the late 50's as it has a GE motor on it

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”