md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

SpringHill KS siren recording...

Wed May 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Today the Johnson County EM sounded all the sirens in attack mode since it was raining out here and there. Went down to Springhill to record this unknown siren. It failed, you can hear the 2001's in the background... four to be exact. The humming is the power obviously trying to feed into the siren, which appears to have a jammed motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXItpJTV80o

Oh well, really wanted to hear this siren roar. :x
--bc

red04stanggt

Re: SpringHill KS siren recording...

Wed May 07, 2008 5:47 pm

md5 wrote:Today the Johnson County EM sounded all the sirens in attack mode since it was raining out here and there. Went down to Springhill to record this unknown siren. It failed, you can hear the 2001's in the background... four to be exact. The humming is the power obviously trying to feed into the siren, which appears to have a jammed motor.

Man that sucks. I was up at cosco at 95th and I-35 going in to get some stuff right at 11. I was walking inside and I never expected to hear the sirens test. It really suprised me. It was quite cloudy out looked like it could storm anytime and some nice low hanging clouds just to the east.

md5

Wed May 07, 2008 6:53 pm

red04stanggt wrote:
md5 wrote:Today the Johnson County EM sounded all the sirens in attack mode since it was raining out here and there. Went down to Springhill to record this unknown siren. It failed, you can hear the 2001's in the background... four to be exact. The humming is the power obviously trying to feed into the siren, which appears to have a jammed motor.

Man that sucks. I was up at cosco at 95th and I-35 going in to get some stuff right at 11. I was walking inside and I never expected to hear the sirens test. It really suprised me. It was quite cloudy out looked like it could storm anytime and some nice low hanging clouds just to the east.
Yeah, they just sounded the attack signal rather alert hence the clouds. :)
--bc

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Man, that thing is jammed! Even though it didn't sound, it's still a cool recording! Looks like a 1930's Federal Fire Siren.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Wed May 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Well, at least the timers are working properly. It's a good thing they didn't sound the sirens in Alert. The motor could have exploded in that thing.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

kswx29

Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 pm

I hope you emailed JOCO EM about that!
Nice video otherwise.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

md5

Thu May 08, 2008 3:55 am

2t22boy wrote:I hope you emailed JOCO EM about that!
Nice video otherwise.
I did actually, linked them to the video uploaded too. Said each sirens are maintained by the towns through out the county so spring Hill PD got note of it.

(If they don't want it anymore, I'd like to have that) :wink:
ver tum wrote:Well, at least the timers are working properly. It's a good thing they didn't sound the sirens in Alert. The motor could have exploded in that thing.
After the siren powered down fully, I walked over at the end to feel the power cable feeding the siren from the control box and boy was it hot. :|
--bc

Daniel

Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Isn't it a Mars siren?
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

md5

Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Daniel wrote:Isn't it a Mars siren?
Could you elaborate a bit more about this? I've no idea what a mars siren evenly is, and so forth. :? Talking like sounds, when it was used/manufactured and so forth.
--bc

Rheems1

Thu May 08, 2008 6:41 pm

Mars made their own fire sirens for a short period of time... they are more know for their warning lights (like my beloved Mars 888) but did their own version of the Federal Q and dabbled in house sirens for awhile.... their sirens look a lot like the one in this video although it is hard to tell them apart from the coded Federal siren and the Sterling Giant and the Federal Fire Siren. There aren't a whole lot of Mars fire sirens around... so if it is a Mars... it is a neat find.

Dave Fritz

Return to “Videos and Media”