holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Brass Model A Restoration

Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm

I found this old up beat Model with a solid brass housing on ebay for $40. The motor housing had several large dents in the back and was caved in on one side. The motor was in pretty decent shape, just needed a new set of brushes and some lubrication.

picture of the huge dent on the side of the housing. Note the piece of baling wire that is wrapped around the bolts. Apparently that was some sort of mounting system (and probably why this thing had so many dents in it).

The intake shroud, pretty straight but far from being shiny.

one piece motor and stator design.

and now for the finished product,

Shot of the ID tag

zetronist

Fri May 30, 2008 3:01 am

Nice job on the restoration. It really looks nice. Congratulations.

Do you know if Federal actually marketed a brass model A? Or was this some kind of special order?

John

Daniel

Fri May 30, 2008 4:05 am

That's really beautiful. I've never seen a brass one. Was it designed for marine use?
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri May 30, 2008 4:38 am

I'm really not sure why Federal made a brass housing, I was hoping somebody here would know.

CABLEVision

Fri May 30, 2008 6:06 am

Corosion resistance for near the sea most likley.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Franz?

Sat May 31, 2008 12:22 am

Chemical Plant system to resist the corrosive atmousphere. Probably a sealed motor too.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat May 31, 2008 12:28 am

Brass housings were mainly made for marine use. After all, many of these sirens served on naval warships in a high salt environment. Large vessels like that have 120vac easily available thus the voltage. Nearly all warships in the US Navy have model A like sirens in service.

I owned a similar model A, complete with explosion-proof conduit. That motor may be sealed as well, but its certainly not up to today's standards of explosion proof alarms. Interesting find, whatever the case.

thunderbolt69

Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 pm

This is siren you own was made before Federal Electric was changed. Possibly 1930's?

John in MA

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 am

That style of motor was used on all older Model As, as far as I know. I'm restoring one that I believe is from the '40s and sold under the Faraday brand. Standard steel housing, though.

The motor uses two sealed ball-bearings instead of sleeve bearings or bushings. Offset inner race with a felt seal on one side. No way to properly clean or lubricate unless you destroy the shield to remove it. I've found that at least one of them is still available from bearing houses and I'm trying to track down the other one.

CABLEVision

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 am

[quote="John in MA"]That style of motor was used on all older Model As, as far as I know. I'm restoring one that I believe is from the '40s and sold under the Faraday brand. Standard steel housing, though.

The motor uses two sealed ball-bearings instead of sleeve bearings or bushings. Offset inner race with a felt seal on one side. No way to properly clean or lubricate unless you destroy the shield to remove it. I've found that at least one of them is still available from bearing houses and I'm trying to track down the other one.[/quote]

I love any thing stainless, any pics?

Never mind, didn't read it thouroughly enough.
Last edited by CABLEVision on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”