md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm

ver tum wrote:
2t22boy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQ4qkEuEmQ

I know there is a Mod RIGHT by Wrigley Field. Someone has posted pictures before.

That's definitely some sort of electronic siren, but if it is a Mod, I've never heard one sound like that before. That siren sort of reminds me of a Whelen.
7 seconds in you can see it. See my post here of the same siren: http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... 2826#42826 :)
--bc

jkvernon

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 am

I think that I might have the whole signal pattern thing straightened out.

The earlier Federal Modulators that used the MCP control panels had alternating wail as one of the signal options. When the Ultra-Voice panels came out, the alternating wail signal had been replaced with a fast wail signal. That's why in the videos with the mod running in fast wail you can hear other mods running in alternating wail. The panel just responds to the activation signal with that tone because that's how it's set up.

What I would like to know is why the city of Chicago activated two different signals on the mods; wail and then fast/alternating wail. In some Wrigley field videos they ran them in normal wail mode and later they ran them in fast/alternating wail. Hit the wrong button maybe? I don't know how their system is set up so I couldn't tell you that.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

jkvernon

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 am

Here's a video where you can hear 2001s running in fast wail and you can also hear a Modulator running in alternating wail pretty clearly.

uncommonsense

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:10 am

jkvernon wrote:Here's a video where you can hear 2001s running in fast wail and you can also hear a Modulator running in alternating wail pretty clearly.
Psst...you forgot to post the link ;-)

jkvernon

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HstAi39rtvQ

I seriously do that all the time.

uncommonsense

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 pm

jkvernon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HstAi39rtvQ

I seriously do that all the time.
Its not a problem :-D. If this is as bad as it gets in life, I think life is still quite good 8)

That being said, that video as very apocalyptic overtones. What incredible sound--echos everywhere.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 am

Wow! That Mod sounds very ominous! Since they've got it set to bottom out at a lower tone than usual, that thing can probably carry a long way. That's one of the best sounding single tone Mods I've ever heard.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

ACAP10

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gxduFUWTc

You can see the Mod straight ahead

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Man I feel sorry for the people sitting in that section where the Modulator is, if there was anyone sitting there. Must have scared them half to death when it went off!
-Ian M.

Brendan Ahern

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:02 am

OK guys I have no idea why they did 2 signals. All I know is the Mod I was by and the mods in the video do hi-lo wail. The mod at wrigley did fast wail. The 2001's did fast wail as I was not far from one. They set off the sirens twice, once in fast wail and once in normal wail a few minutes later. I dont know how the mods are set up but all of them were installed at the same time, in 1998 with the 2001's. There are only 2 new sirens in the system I know of, a 2001B and that mod downtown in the video doing hi-lo wail. And I actually believe that that DSA looking thing is in fact a DSA. If its what I think it is its the "siren" at the Diversey Ave driving range. If so then you were between the Belmont and Fullerton exits on LSD. It is behind a fence next to a driving range. I cant tell for sure but the boxes look like federal boxes. I could be wrong but there is no siren around there and according to my coverage map, that area is uncovered. So, it would only make sense that this is in fact a DSA. Im always at work on test days though so I cant confirm for sure just yet. And there are no 2001's anywhere by wrigley. There is a mod AT the park. That is the one that sounds like the 2001. The other siren is the Mod at Lincoln Park Zoo. Chicago has no EOWS sirens.
Last edited by Brendan Ahern on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Videos and Media”