quiksmith10

Sirens On the Trip to OU

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Well, I'm finally in Norman for the start of college at the University of Oklahoma. The two day trip wasn't bad and would have been better if it wasn't for all the construction along I-70 and I-44. Anyway, along the way, I saw numerous sirens. Unfortunately, some were when I was driving and wasn't able to photograph. The sirens I did see were:

1 - Whelen 3016 in Downtown Columbus, OH

1 - Thunderbolt in Troy, IL (east of St. Louis)

Numerous Whelen 2800 series in St. Louis, MO

1 - Whelen 4000 series SW of Saint Louis, MO in either Peerless Park or Fenton (across from the Diamler-Chrysler plant)

1 - Whelen 3016 in Eureka, MO

1 - Whelen 3016 in Sullivan, MO

1 - 2001 in St. James, MO

1 - Thunderbolt in Rolla, MO

1 - Thunderbolt in Lebanon, MO

Numerous Whelen 3016's and 2800 series in Tulsa, OK

I did see some others sirens that I already knew of but this list contains sirens that I have not seen before. Here is one photo of the small handful that I have. This Thunderbolt is located in Rolla, MO, next to the Panera bread, right off of I-44. Yes, I do pre-label my photos for the siren archive. This way, it cuts down on Paul's huge workload.

Brandon Smith

jkvernon

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:48 pm

I have a pic of the 3016 you probably downtown right along I-70. I've seen jsut about all the sirens you mentioned in your post. There's also a 3 celled Modulator near a racetrack between Troy, IL and St. Louis.

Here's the picture. It's pretty crappy being that is was taken from the freeway in a moving car. It's the tall white thing behind the tree.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3218572

Chad

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Norman's EM department is really on top of it. Anyway, here is a complete list of sirens in Norman, it is very accurate: http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/Emergency_Mg ... dix%203%22

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:33 pm

jkvernon wrote:I have a pic of the 3016 you probably downtown right along I-70. I've seen jsut about all the sirens you mentioned in your post. There's also a 3 celled Modulator near a racetrack between Troy, IL and St. Louis.

Here's the picture. It's pretty crappy being that is was taken from the freeway in a moving car. It's the tall white thing behind the tree.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3218572
I know I have a better picture of that siren. Let me find it and post it. On the other hand, nice finds Brandon. Thanks for sharing.
-The Princess

quiksmith10

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:32 pm

On a trip to the trash chute a few minutes ago, I glanced out the window to see a T-128 displayed proudly across the street on top of Couch Restaurant. The building to the left is Couch Tower and mine across the street is Walker Tower. Test day is tomorrow and it looks like I will be outside right around that time. The map of Norman also shows was appears to be another siren on top of Kate Center, 2 blocks to the north. I have a hunch that that might be another T-128. I'll have to do some recon to find out. Anyway, here is a photo I shot of the T-128 on top of Couch from my floor's TV room.

Brandon Smith

quiksmith10

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:45 pm

On the way back from English and Calc Discussion, I spotted the T-128 on top of one of the Cate Dorms. The university seems to do a good job with hiding the sirens from ground view. I'm sure that the people right at eye level with or directly below the sirens get a good earful being that this isn't no Model 2.
Brandon Smith

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”