The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3432 posts ]  Go to page « 1336 337 338 339 340344 »
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:56 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm
Posts: 2970
Real Name: Andy A.
YouTube Username: carexpertandy
Location: Finneytown/Springfield Twp. (Cincinnati), Ohio
Karma: 5
maxshaw wrote: *
Are the Eclipse 8 and STH 10 the only sirens owned by CVG?
It used to be that they had 4 sirens, which were 2 STH-10s and 2 Thunderbeams. One Thunderbeam was on top of Terminal 2, which was supposedly demolished, correct? I’m not sure what happened to the siren. The other Thunderbeam was pole mounted out along the runways, and had a 2001-130/Equinox next to it when I saw it in spring 2018. I forget where the other STH-10 is, and am not sure if they installed any other new sirens. Northern Kentucky enthusiasts should know more about these.

_________________
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:13 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Posts: 83
Real Name: Johnathan or Ryan
YouTube Username: OhioRiverSirens
Discord: OhioRiverSirens&Safety#0538
Location: Northern KY
Karma: 6
The other STH-10 is along Loomis Road right here (39.0690878, -84.6651684)

_________________
Cincy teen who loves everything sirens, trains, a lot of stuff.
Current projects/goals:
- Locating every railroad signal in the US and Canada
- Seeing more siren tests (I live in a place that tests during school days…)
Always open for new friends!


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:43 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 465
Real Name: Josh Reed
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens
Location: Wilmington, Ohio
Karma: 3
Hello all! Thanks to Kurt (fire_freak_57) on giving me access to much better vintage aerial imagery from the ODOT Aerial Imagery Archive. With the help of this imagery, I have been able to make some sense of some of the original sirens that were installed in Wilmington in 1978 and after. There are a couple that are definite, and a few that are not. There were at least 3 2T22s (according to a newspaper article) in the original system (one confirmed in the image), 4 Thunderbeams (two confirmed in the images, those are now located in Blanchester and Clarksville), and maybe a Thunderbolt. Now I say maybe because the aerial images I've reviewed show an object/shadow that looks similar to a Thunderbolt, although I cannot confirm it 100%. It would've been really strange for there to only be one of those and and the rest being Thunderbeams and 2T22s, but it's possible. Here's a link to the images and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

_________________
Josh Reed
21, Resident of Ohio


Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.


My YouTube Channel


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm
Posts: 2970
Real Name: Andy A.
YouTube Username: carexpertandy
Location: Finneytown/Springfield Twp. (Cincinnati), Ohio
Karma: 5
It's quite possible. Newark had one Thunderbolt along with some Thunderbeams, but I'm not exactly sure when they were installed.

_________________
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:46 am
Posts: 312
Real Name: Kurt
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781
Location: SW Ohio (& NE Ohio)
Karma: 5
carexpertandy wrote: *
It's quite possible. Newark had one Thunderbolt along with some Thunderbeams, but I'm not exactly sure when they were installed.
Newark's Thunderbolt is from the 1950s or 60s, the Thunderbeams were added around the mid-1980s.

_________________
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:46 am
Posts: 312
Real Name: Kurt
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781
Location: SW Ohio (& NE Ohio)
Karma: 5
Sifed1 wrote: *
Hello all! Thanks to Kurt (fire_freak_57) on giving me access to much better vintage aerial imagery from the ODOT Aerial Imagery Archive. With the help of this imagery, I have been able to make some sense of some of the original sirens that were installed in Wilmington in 1978 and after. There are a couple that are definite, and a few that are not. There were at least 3 2T22s (according to a newspaper article) in the original system (one confirmed in the image), 4 Thunderbeams (two confirmed in the images, those are now located in Blanchester and Clarksville), and maybe a Thunderbolt. Now I say maybe because the aerial images I've reviewed show an object/shadow that looks similar to a Thunderbolt, although I cannot confirm it 100%. It would've been really strange for there to only be one of those and and the rest being Thunderbeams and 2T22s, but it's possible. Here's a link to the images and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Did the Southridge siren used to be on the roof? I noted there's still control boxes up there on the roof on some type of platform when I was at the Vortex there earlier this year.

_________________
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:14 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 465
Real Name: Josh Reed
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens
Location: Wilmington, Ohio
Karma: 3
fire_freak_57 wrote: *
Sifed1 wrote: *
Hello all! Thanks to Kurt (fire_freak_57) on giving me access to much better vintage aerial imagery from the ODOT Aerial Imagery Archive. With the help of this imagery, I have been able to make some sense of some of the original sirens that were installed in Wilmington in 1978 and after. There are a couple that are definite, and a few that are not. There were at least 3 2T22s (according to a newspaper article) in the original system (one confirmed in the image), 4 Thunderbeams (two confirmed in the images, those are now located in Blanchester and Clarksville), and maybe a Thunderbolt. Now I say maybe because the aerial images I've reviewed show an object/shadow that looks similar to a Thunderbolt, although I cannot confirm it 100%. It would've been really strange for there to only be one of those and and the rest being Thunderbeams and 2T22s, but it's possible. Here's a link to the images and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Did the Southridge siren used to be on the roof? I noted there's still control boxes up there on the roof on some type of platform when I was at the Vortex there earlier this year.
Yeah the 2T22 was originally on the roof. I don’t have the image on my phone, but I posted a picture of it a while back of the newspaper article with a 2T22 pictured on the roof. For some reason (maybe coverage reasons) they moved it onto a pole from the rooftop. It’s weird how those panels are still there all these years later and not the siren.

_________________
Josh Reed
21, Resident of Ohio


Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.


My YouTube Channel


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:40 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 465
Real Name: Josh Reed
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens
Location: Wilmington, Ohio
Karma: 3
I just checked out another couple of angles from 1996 around Denver Elementary School and it's (in my opinion) undeniably a Thunderbolt. If only there was an image of the back of the school from before 2004 that would show this object in the background. It just looks very much like a Thunderbolt and looks completely different than the other sirens Wilmington had at the time. I also compared it to a number of other aerial images of Thunderbolts taken around the same time and they look extremely similar. I've added a few new angles of these aerial images from 1996 for your viewing pleasure here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

_________________
Josh Reed
21, Resident of Ohio


Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.


My YouTube Channel


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:28 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 465
Real Name: Josh Reed
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens
Location: Wilmington, Ohio
Karma: 3
Oh my gosh guys! My jaw just dropped when I came across this. This image right here, without a doubt, confirms that Wilmington definitely had at least one Thunderbolt! I searched for the Clinton County GIS imagery at the suggestion of Kurt, and I saw this image from 2003, and my mind was just blown! Take a look... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wpp-K3 ... sp=sharing

I'm going to look at the rest of the sirens with this imagery now too. I'm just amazed and blown away, but at the same time sad because I never had the chance to see this siren in person as it was removed and replaced with a Whelen Vortex around 2003.


EDIT: I also just discovered ANOTHER Thunderbolt near Bill Marine Ford in the west side of Wilmington. So Wilmington had at least two confirmed Thunderbolts! This is really interesting news to me. Here's an image of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ayYiK ... sp=sharing

_________________
Josh Reed
21, Resident of Ohio


Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.


My YouTube Channel


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am
Posts: 85
YouTube Username: W202fan
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Karma: 1
In May, I stopped at Gersam Avenue in Hamilton and saw this. The blower box is low enough that you can touch it! :shock:


Attachments:
File comment: FC and RCM1A
[ attachment ]
Thunderbolt controls.png [ 910.61 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
File comment: Gersam Avenue Hamilton, OH
[ attachment ]
Hamilton Thunderbolt gersam 2.png [ 762.77 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

_________________
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.
Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3432 posts ]  Go to page « 1336 337 338 339 340344 »

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited