Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Thunderbolt 1000 @ Glencliff High School in Nashville, TN

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm

While we were in Nashville today, we went to Clencliff High School and came across this..

Last edited by Charlie Davidson on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

So you found that control box with no lid/cover on it? And, how do you know it's a 1000? Right, that box that's opened doesn't have tone switches. Could they be in a different box though, or are they always in the same box for the blower/chopper/rotator/control switches?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

EL1998P71

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 pm

carexpertandy wrote:So you found that control box with no lid/cover on it? And, how do you know it's a 1000? Right, that box that's opened doesn't have tone switches. Could they be in a different box though, or are they always in the same box for the blower/chopper/rotator/control switches?
The one cover has the "1000" stamped in it, so you know it's a 1000
And even if it was a 1000T, only the 1003 would have "TONE" switches.

And having that cover off is a safety hazard if it's still live.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Fireman61341

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:44 pm

It looks like all the switches are set to "test", wouldn't it be running if it had power?

TSMaster5150

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 am

Looks like wasps found a good place to build their nests. Nice pictures :).

Melvin Potts

Thunderbolt 1000 @ Glencliff High School in Nashville, TN

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 am

The Nashville Tbolts were all disconnected in the early 80s.

There was one at Overton High School(my alma mater), along with others at Hillwood HS, Hillsboro HS, Dupont HS(now Dupont Hadley Middle), Cameron HS(now a middle) school, and several elementary schools.

I believe the Glencliff and Hillsboro Tbolts are the only remaining high school installations still in place. Haven't been past Glencliff in a long time, but was near Hillsboro recently and saw that one. The others have been taken down.

Putting the blower boxes on the ground and the control boxes low certainly wasn't a good idea.

The Cameron HS siren was mounted on the roof. Same for the one at Caldwell Elementary(believe it's still there) and another school N of downtown(don't know its name, but could see from interstate; siren now gone).

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer

Re: Thunderbolt 1000 @ Glencliff High School in Nashville, T

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 am

Melvin Potts wrote:The Nashville Tbolts were all disconnected in the early 80s.

There was one at Overton High School(my alma mater), along with others at Hillwood HS, Hillsboro HS, Dupont HS(now Dupont Hadley Middle), Cameron HS(now a middle) school, and several elementary schools.

I believe the Glencliff and Hillsboro Tbolts are the only remaining high school installations still in place. Haven't been past Glencliff in a long time, but was near Hillsboro recently and saw that one. The others have been taken down.
If some were removed, where did they go?
Charlie Davidson

Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

Alasiren1977

Re: Thunderbolt 1000 @ Glencliff High School in Nashville, T

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am

Melvin Potts wrote:The Nashville Tbolts were all disconnected in the early 80s.

Putting the blower boxes on the ground and the control boxes low certainly wasn't a good idea.

The Cameron HS siren was mounted on the roof. Same for the one at Caldwell Elementary(believe it's still there) and another school N of downtown(don't know its name, but could see from interstate; siren now gone).
The Hillsboro HS T-bolt has been removed to, but I did manage to get pics of it last year before it was removed. Here they are:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure005.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure004.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure009.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure008.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure006.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114 ... ure007.jpg

Melvin Potts

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Do you know when the Hillsboro High Tbolt was taken down?

Maybe I just imagined seeing it previously. I was on that side of town today, so had opportunity to look..and it's definitely gone.

I was in the Donelson area a few months ago and noticed that the Tbolt at McGavock Elementary was still there. It may have been removed by now.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Melvin Potts wrote:Do you know when the Hillsboro High Tbolt was taken down?

Maybe I just imagined seeing it previously. I was on that side of town today, so had opportunity to look..and it's definitely gone.

I was in the Donelson area a few months ago and noticed that the Tbolt at McGavock Elementary was still there. It may have been removed by now.
Shoot..well do you have any idea what they did with them?
I sure hope they weren't scrapped..because I gave Nashville EMA a call yesterday inquiring about their old Thunderbolts to see if they would cough up one from where, hopefully, they have them stored.
Charlie Davidson

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”