KnightFox

Sat May 20, 2006 11:11 pm

loudmouth wrote:our town has thouse but also this other kinda(expermental) thats a cammra and notices a the traffic levels on the roads and adjusts the light timeing or how long a light is red or green or if arrow lights need to be used this system gets rid of thouse metal strips put into the road. also this system also noties if a emergency vehicle is comeing buy the strobe on the truck or car or ambulance.

Cumberland is also Experimenting with this technology along with the Microwave technology
Thunderin' Thunderbolt wrote:My opinion is that it is a very stupid idea. I feel that the metal strips are much better and more effective, and along with Opticom and red light cameras you have an extremely effective system.

The metal strips do EXACTLY the same thing as the cameras do, except the Opticom system is needed for the emergency vehicle thing.
You guys are talking about Loop detection right? Where it has a coil in the ground?

From Experience (my father is the head of Traffic in the City of Cumberland) Loop detectors are a big pain in the butt.
Thunderin' Thunderbolt wrote: Most likely the cameras are a mix of heat sensing and regular or IR, and it electronically "counts" the heat sources (cars) and checks for lights by regular OR checks for an IR signal.
Nope, Cameras are just as they are, cameras. No heat sensing equipment, or the likes. They are regular video cameras. They control the timing sequence by noticing movement. With Cumberland's system (it's not fully operating yet) They can actually call up the intersection via a modem and watch what the camera sees and manually adjust the timing right from the station.
Last edited by KnightFox on Sat May 20, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Sat May 20, 2006 11:14 pm

Really? That came as a surprise to me. Is the software crap or are they not detecting cars? Or do they get rooted out of the ground?

Theyre not much of a problem over here.
- Tony L.

KnightFox

Sat May 20, 2006 11:21 pm

Thunderin' Thunderbolt wrote:Really? That came as a surprise to me. Is the software crap or are they not detecting cars? Or do they get rooted out of the ground?

Theyre not much of a problem over here.
Loops detect the presense of a large metallic object by the properties of magnitisim. Loop detection is a rather old technology and here in Cumberland, there is constant changes in the Services (water, electricity, sewage, etc) that lie in the intersection, many times resulting in the intersection having to be dug up, So Cumberland just decided to switch to Microwave detection.

You might want to read my previous post too.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Sat May 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Hmm, I get it. We usually don't have to dig the intersections up over here too often, because we are dumping all of our money on expanding the I-5/I-805 merge to a 17-or-so lane freeway. (It may sound stupid, but it really is working so far.)
- Tony L.

loudmouth

Sun May 21, 2006 1:56 am

KnightFox thats exactyly what we have i forgot i saw the control room in city hall were they can call up the cammras (mulitple ones) and acctulay control the traffic. ( i could see some bored city clerk getting there hands on it and haveing stupid silly fun)

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Sun May 21, 2006 2:00 am

LOL, that is kind of cool. Being able to control the traffic like that remotely, while having it on "autopilot" when youre not there.

Can you access it from anywhere? ;)
- Tony L.

KnightFox

Sun May 21, 2006 8:29 am

Actually you can, but to view and adjust the controller, you must have the proper software. Plus you have to have the phone number for the light of course :wink:

And the software can cost as much as 1000 bucks.

KnightFox

Sun May 21, 2006 11:52 pm

Getting back on topic here, Cumberland has debated on using Opticoms for about 2 years now. In my opinion, it would really help them if they did switch to using Opticom.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 am

Then can anyone get me the software? I'm willing to pay $1000 to screw up traffic lights around the US...
- Tony L.

Chad

Mon May 22, 2006 2:17 am

Thunderin' Thunderbolt wrote:Then can anyone get me the software? I'm willing to pay $1000 to screw up traffic lights around the US...
Hey dude, that isn't even cool. Don't joke around like that, espicially in today's United States. What you are refrencing is a felony offense, and even joking around can lead to some serious trouble. I'm speaking from experience.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”