Should sirens be mounted on top of public schools

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 47
Whelen Rules

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:34 am

Hey I didn't know Nashville had thunderbolts my T.V. station (wsmv) never mentioned that when they installed the ATIs.Not to take this off topic but I am in Tullahoma Tn by the way. We have a system of 7 Whelen Vortex sirens for Tornado warnings and I live 1/2 mile from one of those and can hear it no matter where the wind is blowing. It seems that whelen is more effective than ATI. I have heard of many problems in Nashville of people not hearing the sirens. I can't see why a city that large didn't install Whelen or ASC or even federal signal. ATIs products just aren't effective. Tullahoma previously had 5 ACA alertronic 6000's installed in 1986 and one of them was on school property. Those sirens were very effective for their time and just about everybody could hear them up untill the mid 90's when the city continued to grow and with the city at 18,000 in 1999 they installed a new system of Vortex R4 sirens. The city is now at 24,000 and the city is completely covered. Although none of the current sirens are located anywhere near schools they are still very audiable even inside some schools.
Tyler Lund

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”