SirenSteveUK

YouTube Username: Campcowboy

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 am

Yep the final date is posted on the same website (along with the local 'Evening News' and local radio broadcasts). I have an agreement with my boss (she is a lovely lady) that even on a workday I can go to the siren sounding as long as I bring a Starbucks' back on the way (I have photos of the sirens - but it is too soon to arrange a video of them). I can get a general video of the sound around the dockyard, and my mate who works in the dockyard might be able to get a vid, but he gets scared of the official secrets act (even tho its bloody obvious the sirens are going off). My mum when she worked there used to have to put any 'official secrets' she was typing up in the safe, then close the windows and then hide under tables or in cupboards - now they have 'breathing appartus located around the dockyard along with green emergency signs indicating the nearest nuclear safety building - we're talking radiation leaks - not nuclear bunkers).

AndrewPollard

Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:46 am

Hi there,

Can any of the sirens be seen from outside the dockyard? I'd be interested to have a look next time we're in Portsmouth.

I remember in the days before the civil defence sirens were scrapped, Portsmouth was one of the best cities to find sirens. Once when visiting friends, I saw an old Carters siren and a new Castle Castings on poles right next to each other. I suppose one was about to replace the other. Unfortunately, I never got any pictures and I'm sure they're both long gone by now...

Andrew

Daniel

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Campcowboy wrote:Yep the final date is posted on the same website (along with the local 'Evening News' and local radio broadcasts). I have an agreement with my boss (she is a lovely lady) that even on a workday I can go to the siren sounding as long as I bring a Starbucks' back on the way
I'm sorry to hear that Starbucks is corrupting your local coffee also. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there is one on every block (a barista in Nebraska literally began to tremble when he noticed the Oregon number plate on my car, and told me that I probably wouldn't like his coffee as well as what I am used to back home! He was right.). Drinking from a paper cup is simply wrong! Give me a ceramic latte bowl.

SirenSteveUK

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Yep - I'm afraid there are Starbucks everywhere in the UK as well. Its probably the same in other countries as well, but we have the same shops in almost every town and it all gets to feel very samey no matter where you are.

Hi Andrew - you can just about see a couple of the sirens in the distance if you know where to look - but not very well. I have finally got my siren pics off of my friend's computer - and I am in the process of sorting them and posting them on fotopic. I have put on most of my UK siren pics:

http://stevelock.fotopic.net/

There is one siren you can look at - if you walk into the Historic part of the Dockyard (its free if you're not going on any of the ships or into the museums), if you walk past Semaphore Tower and look up you can see the first siren of my UK pics - although its covered and not very visible. If you then look out at the buildings towards the ships basins you can see the third siren (image 'f' and 'g') in the distance. But I'm afraid you can't really get close to them unless you enter the restricted part of the Naval base (something I've only done a couple of times).

Would love to have seen those two sirens in Portsmouth - I was living in Gosport at the time, so I can remember where most of the sirens were in Gosport and a couple in Portsmouth - but I've not seen any since I'm afraid, with the exception of the Dockyard sirens. :(

I've also posted a pic of a single tone Secomak siren - the only one I've ever seen in situ (Holyhead Ferry Terminal).

Once I've sorted through my pics - I'll add to my collection with pictures of Dutch sirens, and sirens in Prague and Budapest (plus more French sirens).

AndrewPollard

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:59 am

Some excellent pictures there. I particularly like the French sirens.

You've reminded me - I spotted a siren in Prague near the cathedral. I think it's the same as one of the ones in your album.

And thanks for the directions. I'll follow them up next time I'm in the area.

SirenSteveUK

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:02 am

Glad to be of help with the siren directions.

Yep the Prague siren must be the same one as it was near the cathedral - rather unique looking with the dish and antenna attached.

Also glad you liked the French siren pics - I have just finished uploading the final lot of French siren pics I have so there's a few more on there now (there's a couple of pictures of French electronic sirens as well in the mix now).

SirenSteveUK

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:38 pm

Well, Portsmouth Dockyard had its siren test today. I'm afraid the video isn't too good as it was very windy - but thought I may as well post it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnPCN6Bjvk

Hopefully, I'll get a better vid next test - and I'll try to get nearer the sirens next time.

I've put the link here before - but pics of the Dockyard sirens are at

under 'UK Sirens'.

AndrewPollard

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks for posting that. It was also good to see the French siren videos. I'd seen the sirens on trips to France but I never knew they tested them regularly until I saw your posts.

I have one picture of a French siren that I took on a holiday probably about 20 years ago. I have no idea even roughly where it is but here's the picture anyway.

SCP01

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 pm

Campcowboy wrote:Well, Portsmouth Dockyard had its siren test today. I'm afraid the video isn't too good as it was very windy - but thought I may as well post it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnPCN6Bjvk

Hopefully, I'll get a better vid next test - and I'll try to get nearer the sirens next time.

I've put the link here before - but pics of the Dockyard sirens are at

under 'UK Sirens'.
Thanks for that, makes me want to head for the Anderson...
Steve

AllSafe

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:24 am

Yes, those French sirens are tested regularly. They are property of State and they are primarily used for flood warnings.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”