Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:57 am

The drawing, if accurate, indicates the siren is ONE tone because
all the stator ports count the same per segmant.

How does this thing work?

All air is drawn in at the top?
Would that not starve lower rotors?

Seems needlessly complicated and inefficient.
Even the screen is much more difficult to make and attach than just a cylinder of screen around the stator(s)

Whelen Rules

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:19 am

I wonder what the decible rating of this siren is? it seems like a very strange siren that looks very complicated. I doubt it was on the market very long?
Tyler Lund

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:47 am

Whelen Rules wrote:I wonder what the decible rating of this siren is? it seems like a very strange siren that looks very complicated. I doubt it was on the market very long?
Yes. It does not look well researched and engineered.
I bet it is not very loud because of inefficiencies.

Still, I'd love to have one and experiment with it.

Robert the -LXX
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirenMadness

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Looking at the motor, I'm allowed to guess that the rotors must have their diameters similar to the diameter of a Model 2, if the motor is of a standard size. If those rotors are at least of the diameter that the rotor from a Model 3 has, the motor in this siren must be extremely powerful.

Inefficiency in a many-row rotor could happen due to one row using more air than the row after it. However, that would be particularly faced in a rotor of such that has only one intake-mouth; there might be another intake-mouth at the top. The company says that the siren can be heard considerable distances, so the motor must be powerful.
I wouldn't think of inefficiency within the rotor set would bee too big of an issue, seeing that the ports aren't too big, so draining of air from one row before the air reaches another row would not be of a great issue.

Also, looking at those drawings, I think that it is the stators that are of an adjustable quantity, if not just the rotors.

I think that this siren could produce around (112) Decibels at a hundred feet.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:06 pm

SirenMadness wrote: ... there might be another intake-mouth at the top. The company says that the siren can be heard considerable distances, so the motor must be powerful.
Well, everyone claims that. A good indicator is dB @ 100 feet. Do they give any stats?
SirenMadness wrote:I wouldn't think of inefficiency within the rotor set would bee too big of an issue, seeing that the ports aren't too big, so draining of air from one row before the air reaches another row would not be of a great issue.

Also, looking at those drawings, I think that it is the stators that are of an adjustable quantity, if not just the rotors.
They can stack more rotor and stators? Interesting!

SirenMadness

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 pm

SirenMadness wrote:I wouldn't think of inefficiency within the rotor set would bee too big of an issue, seeing that the ports aren't too big, so draining of air from one row before the air reaches another row would not be of a great issue.

They can stack more rotor and stators? Interesting!
What I mean is that the number of stators looks adjustable, seeing that not all rows of rotor ports have stators. Then, maybe, it is not necessarily the number of rotors that is adjustable, but just the number of stators.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I still do not understand.

I thought all five of the rows (stages) were active.
Also, the stator ports, though some appear wider openings than others,
appear to be the same number on each level.

This oddity is fascinating.
I would love to wrap bands of metal around some levels to see if it makes the others louder, which may compensate for the silenced stages.

SirenMadness

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:49 pm

What I mean is that it is most likely just the number of stators that is adjustable.

Wrapping metal bands around some rows will not completely work in making the other rows louder, as the metal bands will not prevent the air from staying inside. You'd have to weld the bands to the stator walls.
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Remember also that the ads claim that it is a coding siren. Perhaps there is some kind of braking system in there, or maybe that is contained in the large motor housing?

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:38 pm

Daniel wrote:Remember also that the ads claim that it is a coding siren. Perhaps there is some kind of braking system in there, or maybe that is contained in the large motor housing?
Yes, good observation Daniel.

How can a braking system possibly work?
I would expect such to quickly wear out.

I presume coding would be accomplished by opening and closing rotor intake dampers.

Or maybe those 3 red rings can rotote enough to close the stator ports,
then rotate back to open them - if those stators produce a different pitch.

This would be my favorite siren to own.

Robert the -LXXI

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”