MattDean1003

Would like to learn about early electronic sirens

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Spawning off of the thread about the 1959 electronic speakers, I'm just somewhat curious how far back electronic outdoor warning sirens date back. Is the WS-1000 or 2000 models from Whelen the earliest? I'd like to find out as much information for early electronic sirens as I can. A sudden interest just sparked.

I wasn't sure whether to research earlier board topics because I don't think we as a group have ever discussed electronic sirens prior to the WS series.
James M. Dean

Daniel

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:48 am

I remember reading about an electronic siren installed in the carillon tower of Texas A&M (I think) in the 1940's which used a single speaker of enormous proportions and some kind of electronic driver circuit. The speaker may still be there.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

jkvernon

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:04 pm

I remember a thread a few years ago about a speaker array that Altec produced. I think it was the first mass produced civil defense speaker/siren. Someone had several pictures including one of a speaker array next to an elementary school and a couple pictures of the controls. I can't remember exactly what city they were installed in but it was somewhere down south like Birmingham or something. Someone also described the siren sounding similar to a Carters dual head siren.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 pm

I recall an advert for a late 60s/extreme early 70s for one made by FyrFtr (only about 95% sure, so I could be wrong) It looked like four rectangular PA horns on a pole one in each direction.

I wish I could remember where I saw the ad, it wasn't on this board, I know that. I think it was on a siren picture and ad montage on youtube.

ginbot86

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 pm

jkvernon wrote:I remember a thread a few years ago about a speaker array that Altec produced.
Altec Lansing indeed did make compression horn speakers, both for high-fidelity (I'm trying to obtain a pair from my school) and for siren applications.

Some of them overlapped and were used for high-fidelity audio systems, indoor paging, and outdoor warning.
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:22 am

weasel2htm wrote:I recall an advert for a late 60s/extreme early 70s for one made by FyrFtr (only about 95% sure, so I could be wrong) It looked like four rectangular PA horns on a pole one in each direction.

I wish I could remember where I saw the ad, it wasn't on this board, I know that. I think it was on a siren picture and ad montage on youtube.
Yea, does anybody have a pic of this ad? I remember the controller was basically a desk you literally sat at and you had to flip several switches just to get it to sound the alert signal. Very crude technology.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:09 am

Well, anything before transistors were in wide circulation would have required a lot more maintenance, warm-up time for the tubes, etc. It would have been a bear to manage.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Here is something interesting:

Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Jim_Ferer

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Thaniks, soccerdude, what can you tell us about it? It looks like some early form of ATI in a steeple or something similar, although those speakers are used by other customers than ATI. Was it a siren, or one of those hokey sounding chime things that played "The Old Rugged Cross" once in a while?

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:18 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:Thaniks, soccerdude, what can you tell us about it? It looks like some early form of ATI in a steeple or something similar, although those speakers are used by other customers than ATI. Was it a siren, or one of those hokey sounding chime things that played "The Old Rugged Cross" once in a while?
I actually found this on the internet by simply searching for "Old Sirens" in Google Image Search, I should have stated that in my post, sorry about that. On the website that I found it on, the label under the image was "Old Air Raid Siren inside of a bell tower". It was not from here in the US.

To me it looks like a bunch of early underhood-mounted police siren speakers. I have no clue who made it. I wish the guy would have taken more pictures of it, but the site I found it on was pointed more towards ancient history and had more scenic pictures than anything else. :roll:
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”