MIKEY

Need a siren remote or radio controller.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Good afternoon everyone. I live in the small town of Florence Texas, which is 13 miles from Jarrell Texas that was hit by a monster tornado back in 97. My fire department currently has a Federal model 5 located two blocks from our fire station. When the new fire station was built the siren was left at the original location. It is still hooked up but someone has to go to the old city garage and activate it. Is there any community that may have a tone activated system they are not using anymore. We have a vhs system that we use for paging. we would i believe need a encoder and a reciever for the siren pole. Can anyone help me with this. thanks...Mike Mayfield, FF/EMT Florence texas.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm

On my siren I use a Viking RC-3 Telephone Line controller connected to the siren's AF timer controller to activate it remotely. If you have a phone line available that isn't directory (from any phone in the world) that the RC-3 is connected to, enter your password using your keypad, then punch in which relay you want to activate, and then the siren screams (or roars).

More info: http://www.vikingelectronics.com/produc ... hp?pid=217

They run around $200 or less, depending on where you buy it. It's definitely something to look into if you want to avoid the expensive radio equipment!
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

MIKEY

Thanks

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 am

Hey Charlie, thanks for the info. i will pass it on to my chief. Mike

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 am

Get a Federal Signal Informer. They run $300-400 and that usually includes programming. Its about as plug and play as you can get and very reliable.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 am

JasonC wrote:Get a Federal Signal Informer. They run $300-400 and that usually includes programming. Its about as plug and play as you can get and very reliable.
I called Federal once about the Informer and they said that it would be around $600 in all for the Informer with dual relays (programming included). If you want to use the Informer on a siren controller you will have to be sure to get the one with relays.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 am

Charlie Davidson wrote:
JasonC wrote:Get a Federal Signal Informer. They run $300-400 and that usually includes programming. Its about as plug and play as you can get and very reliable.
I called Federal once about the Informer and they said that it would be around $600 in all for the Informer with dual relays (programming included). If you want to use the Informer on a siren controller you will have to be sure to get the one with relays.

That;s why you buy things form dealers, much cheaper :wink:

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 am

Yeah the federal informer sounds like a good idea to me. Here my video of one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3u8hph-uzg#t=0m56s

The light was blinking green because the power was shut off so the siren would not go off.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:59 am

Talk to Clayton Werden (sirenman on here). He is a dealer for veetronix, who makes a very good tone alert radio that is much cheaper than federal.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”