Matt
Administrator
Administrator

ACA Hurricane- Alert, Attack, and Growl + Pics Added

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 am

Well here is the video after the siren has been re-wired. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBkiNMd3o3w It runs great! I do not know why they said it did not work but it does. The rotator and chopper works fine.
This siren will have to be mounted on the pole where the model two does so there can be more room in the garage so we will need help with ideas on how to get it on the pole. I will also post more information about this siren.
Also one thing I should point out is that it is 120 volts per motor! The only reason it is 240 is too power the chopper AND the rotator.
If you where to only want to run one (either the rotator or the chopper I have only the chopper running here) you would just hook up 120 to the neutral and the hot to the chopper.

I will post more pics and more information about this siren later. I will also post a lot of pics just have to get everything off my camera. I am doing the attack manually with a stop watch to get it perfect.
Hopefully Adam and me can figure out that crazy control panel. Also I found the control panels wiring diagram in the pocket of the cabinet (which will be posted later)

And as promised here are the pictures.
Wiring Diagram for the control panel.
Control panel with door closed
Control panel with door open
480 Blower thing
Chopper wiring
Some red button in the cabinet
Time delay adjustment knob
Inside of rotator with terminal strip for wiring. This shows that the rotator is 120V and the chopper motor is 120V
Closer of the rotator motor and the terminal strip
Me by the horn
Last edited by Matt on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Jim Z

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 am

The Hurricane's really short wind-up and slow wind-down are strange. Wonder why it's like that.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 am

I think the chopper is made out of like aluminum making it so light that the one horse power chopper motor speeds it up so fast that when it steps the momentum from the aluminum gives it that long wind down chill we all hear.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Jpressman8

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:52 am

Jim Z wrote:The Hurricane's really short wind-up and slow wind-down are strange. Wonder why it's like that.
I believe these Hurricanes have an aluminum chopper. The lighter weight allows for a quick windup.
five liter V8

Jim Z

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:00 am

I believe these Hurricanes have an aluminum chopper. The lighter weight allows for a quick windup.
lots of sirens have aluminum choppers.

Jpressman8

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 am

Jim , I think it has to do with the size of the chopper and the way it was machined. There was a discussion about it on here sometime ago.
five liter V8

Nelso90

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:30 am

It's all about motor drag. Start a garbage disposal, or a bench grinder. Very quick, sometimes instant start up, slow wind down. The hurricane uses a 3 phase induction motor for the chopper. You have almost zero drag except for the bearngs.
Thunderbolts' universal motors have an intresting property where the torque slowly levels off as rpm rises, unlike an induction motor where torque is constant right at a governed speed. They wind down slow not because of air drag, both the hurricane and thunderbolt have none, but the thunderbolt has brushes to slow it.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 am

Nelso90 wrote:It's all about motor drag. Start a garbage disposal, or a bench grinder. Very quick, sometimes instant start up, slow wind down. The hurricane uses a 3 phase induction motor for the chopper. You have almost zero drag except for the bearings.
But wait mines a 120V 1 Phase motor chopper motor. I have a confusion?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:54 am

Mike, there are only 2 copper rings running around the chopper tube there, so it has to be a single-phase motor in there. It has the 3rd spot it looks like to run it with a 3-phase chopper motor also. Since the blower motor is always going to be 3-phase, I don't know why it would come with different versions.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Jim Z

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 am

here are the manuals for the Hurricane that DjT1003 posted some time ago, if you didn't get them then:

http://home.comcast.net/~jz78817/stuff/manual.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~jz78817/stuff/literature.pdf

Going by this it looks like the chopper motor is actually supposed to be 230/240 volts.

Return to “Videos and Media”