Jim_Ferer

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:13 pm

That's interesting, and an effective response to those products intended to hack Opticom so jerks don't have to deal with traffic lights. Plus an interesting application somewhat like mesh networking.

Robert Gift

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Interesting, Munk.

Why do they use an RF signal when the already New and Improved Opticom reads and reports vehicle I.D. encoded in the emitter signal?

Selfish idiots using MIRTs (Mobile Infra-Red Transmitters)[IR so you can't see the emitter flashes] can now no longer preempt signals unless they somehow copy the signal of an authorized EV.

(Which means my LED flashing lights set to sum up to the correct flash rate can no longer preempt traffic signals.)

But this change-over costs a fortune.

I would have liked our city to buy more trees for parks rather than update our Opticom system.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Technically, if one made a sophisticated system, it could secretly monitor all IR messages and repeat the same sequence as if it was a transmitter later on for personal use. Of course, with the eLock system that would be hard to do, but the "new and improved" Opticom system seems easier to hack.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”