Whelen Rules

old siren recording

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:09 pm

I was looking through some old saved files and found this old recording I had saved from the old board. You can hear several Whelens probably Vortexes and you can hear some 3016s. Can anybody here claim the recording? http://www.civildefensesirens.com/media ... 6_2006.wav

note about halfway through you can hear 2 more sirens start up.
Last edited by Whelen Rules on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Lund

SirenMadness

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Yes, the background siren(s) does sound like a Whelen 3016, while the main siren in the recording is definitely a Vortex.

I think that Adam P. recorded this.
~ Peter Radanovic

AlarmRepair

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:08 pm

I dont like these tornado sirens at all out west. Sounds terrible! Why the steady sound for 2 or 3 minutes..? They should rise and fall like a normal air raid siren to get ones attention.. A steady long cycle like whats heard here would drive me to want to shoot the thing.. shut her down man! seriously! Annoying!

But then again i am not sure if these electronic cheapo sirens can even do cycles.. probably just and on and off and that's it.. That's why everyone should have stayed mechanical with Federals SD10's and 5 TT's..

SirenMadness

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:08 am

With sound cards, of course they do cycles. They are not doing a wailing tone because that situation is not suited for it.

I agree, though, that the old sirens are better!
~ Peter Radanovic

jkvernon

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:22 am

The reason they use the steady tone for tornado warnings is simply because FEMA wants cities to use a signal that differs from a fire call signal, but not all cities follow these guidelines. That recording was made during a tornado warning in St. Louis, MO of their county's Whelen 3016 and 4004 (no Vortexes to speak of there) system. Pretty good recording if you ask me.

Whelen Rules

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:42 am

It is indeed an awsome recording. The steady tone is known as the weather alert signal as others have said. As for different signals Whelens have 6 standard warning tones which is far more than any Mechanical siren can produce. Still you can't beat a tornado warning with 2t22s sounding in the background. Times change cities install new sirens and as much as some people hate it a large number of cities choose Electronic sirens basically because they can be placed virtually anywhere because they don't have to use AC power and they have solar options not to mention the highout put warning radious which can cover great distances 2-3 miles in some cases(Whelen in particular) And as for the steady tone I don't know why you hate it, personally I like the steady tone alert signal.
Tyler Lund

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”