Elliott

"Stuck" Springdale, OH Allertor

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:15 pm

Went to film the Allertor test yesterday, and apparently, it is stuck facing east. I gave Clayton Werden a call, and he is looking into it.

If you listen, you hear the FSK tones from my scanner right before it goes off in attack. Then you hear the subsequent tones toward the end of the test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NYSwV07jbY
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:26 pm

Awesome video!!!

cdvtripleseven

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:25 pm

The definition of "stuck" as far as an Allertor goes is
most likely the same as "missing chain."
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

ronatello

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:04 pm

That's the first time I heard a dual tone allertor. Such a pity it wasn't rotating...

q2bman

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Nice video. I guess that's why they were replaced here where I live. Not reliable enouge.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Great video!!! That's the best Allertor footage I have seen so far, rotating or not!!! Very good audio with no distortion!!! Thanks for posting it.
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Robert Gift

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:07 pm

Great, colorful sharp video.

I can't even hear the two tones, they blend together so well and produce a resultant tone.

Also neat hearing the radio activation tones.
Since they repeat, do they turn the siren on, then off, then on, etc. cycling the siren instead of a cam opening and closing contacts?

But I don't understand the tones at the end after this siren has already been turned off.
Are those tones for other sirens in the system?
Interesting.
Thank you,

Archon

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:20 pm

The tones at the end are polling the siren. On compualert system It is sending tones back to computer telling the computer if the siren stated or not. As for it not turning it usally meaning there is a problem with the gear box the turns it Gear box in Direct drive off the back of the motor.

MattDean1003

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Is that a manually done attack signal? Some cycles are a little longer than others-that's why I ask. It's as if someone pushes the button, holds it, then lets go while the siren winds down, then pushes the button again to wind it back up and holds it till they're ready for it to spin down. Great, GREAT video...AWESOME audio! You can really hear that thing sing. It sounds identical to a dual tone Model 5 or SD10 and you can really hear just how close the sirens would sound towards one another (speaking of the Model 5 and SD10). I guarantee you if there was a comparison of the SD10 and this Allertor recording, you would'nt be able to tell a difference-

-Matt Dean-

Elliott

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 pm

Basically, I parked on the side of a highway as close to the guard rail as I could; the slight movement you may notice was caused when cars and big trucks were passing by within say 5 feet. I rested the camera on the roof of my car to get the most stability I could. I then placed my handheld scanner next to it. I was questionable about my batteries so I didnt record the growl and alert previous to the attack( although I had a 1 Gig SD card).

To answer Matt Dean, I think the delay was automatic by the siren, not a manual thing.

Not to bash on anyone else's efforts, but a lot of vids I see are too far off for detail or the same angle, which gets monotanous after a while. I will attempt to record (again) a T-Bolt at about 50-60 feet horizontal in December. Will keep you all posted!
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”