ThunderboltFreak

Federal Signal or American Signal( which one do you better )

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:06 pm

I tend to like Federal Signal more, simply because of the thunderbolt. :D

SirenMadness

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 pm

American Signal; it is actually my favorite siren-company. Most people agree that the Thunderbolt is the best siren. It is! However, American Signal built so much more good sirens. Looking at some of their old brochures is just mind-blowing.
~ Peter Radanovic

Whelen Rules

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 pm

As you can see by my name Whelen is my favorite manufacture, however when it comes to mechanical sirens Federal signal would be my favorite I love the STL 10 and the 2t22/3t22. I also love american signal products so I guess I would have a tie between both FS and ASC
Tyler Lund

enigma1677

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:30 am

Well back in the day it would have been Fed. b/c of the T-bolts, T-beams, and EOWS family, but today it would have to be American Signal, Fed has dropped the ball in their tones dept. All their new stuff sounds like crap! So my vote would be American!!

Jim_Ferer

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 am

Why doesn't anyone even consider Sentry?

AlarmRepair

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 am

SirenMadness wrote: Most people agree that the Thunderbolt is the best siren. It is!.
Not really! Seems like only the people in this forum are t-bolt crazy.. It was actually Federals least selling siren. The Type 2,3,5,7 and SD10's were more dominant in the 1950's and 60's and the most popular selling. I have heard many say the Thunderbolt looks dorky spinning around with it's wa-ooh -wah ooh wah- oohh sound.. alot of siren "buyers" at the time did not find the thunderbolts style and operation too appealing. - I actually read that somewhere.

thunderbolt1003kid

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:40 am

Mine is American Signal they are the company who made the P 50/T 135 which is almost the loudest siren ever made.I agree that the Thunderbolt is the greatest siren ever made but American Signal actually tried to improve their ACA sirens by making a modified verion of the penetrator & banshee instead of federal signal discontinuing siren with out even looking to improve some of their best selling sirens LIKE the thunderbolt they should have tried to modify the blower to eliminate belts and find a way to have the battery back up if these improvements were made the Thunderbolt siren would still be in production today.

Jim_Ferer

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:58 am

Federal could have tried to improve the Thunderbolt, but they wouldn't have sold any more as a result. Siren buyers are not siren enthusiasts and the stuff we like doesn't mean anything to them. They come up with a specification, or borrow one, and select the lowest responsive bidder. How successful they are depends on the quality of the unit and the total cost of ownership.

MattDean1003

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:39 am

I agree with Jim. It's not about how cool it looks or how cool it sounds (to us enthusiasts it is) but it's about effectiveness. It's like a box of cereal. The brand name is good, the box may have an impressive design, it may smell good, but it may taste absolutely horrible. A siren is similar. Federal Warning Systems made the Model 2T. Neat looking design, beautiful sound, but it only carried a thousand feet or so. When I tried to have a siren put up in Bogart, they told me they couldnt put one up just because a siren enthusiast wanted one. I promise you all, I am NOT bashing anyone or giving anyone false advertisement or leading, but I am curious here-what does it take to make a favorite siren? Is it the sound, is it the effectiveness, is it the flaws or the black sheeps of the crowd (the ATI's)? I can see the TV show now-"What does it take to make a favorite si-reen?" haha. As for my favorite company though, Federal Signal. I love the sound of the 2T22. It carried pretty far, some people on the board say that they've heard one for about 5 to 6 miles off before. But I also love the professional look of the 2001.

-Matt Dean-

AlarmRepair

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:54 am

To each is own Matt ya know... I personally like the Model 5/7 style, Fedelcode to be exact.. i think its the all american looking siren since day 1..

I need to find someone still alive that personally was involved with Civil Defense siren installations or purchasing in the 1950's or 60's. i am curious if matching funds just sent agencies sirens like the T bolt , 5T's or SD10's from what was available at the time or did departments and CD offices have a choice? You know, Federal actually had " engineers" back then that actually went and installed sirens for agencies, fire departments or etc.. Now a days you order a siren and have to hook it up yourself or find someone who is somewhat a licensed electrician who will do the job..

The good old golden days are gone now I suppose... :evil:

As far as hearing a 2T22 5 miles away.... Sure, you can hear an SD10 8 miles away in the great distance if the elements permit it.. late at night with no wind on a damp evening..sure, sound will travel... High noon on a windy summer sunny day, forget it...you won't hear a siren 1/4 mile away....

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”