SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Is that an ambulance or fire truck ?

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IrZxpxtAgI

(someone is running a hi/lo European siren)

SirenMadness

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:11 pm

It seems that this truck is using such siren. I don't think that there are very strict regulations to the type of signal from a vehicle-siren.

In most of Europe, I think that they use the hi-lo signal on both fire-trucks and ambulances.
~ Peter Radanovic

q2bman

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:04 pm

That would be a firetruck using Hi-Low. Not bad but I like the wail.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Ridiculous waste of our tax dollars with TWO sirens and air horn.
Two sirens operating is no better than one.

Real air horn is louder than Q and has it's purpose when Q is not heard.

I do like that horn-sounding hi-lo producing a musical 4th interval.
Is it real air horns or electronic?

The siren doesn't sound like a Q.
It has the "nasal" sound of a Timberline? siren.

Thank you,
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirenMadness

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:23 pm

The air-horn really helps with penetration. Most of the time, it is the loudest thing that I hear on a fire-truck.
~ Peter Radanovic

q2bman

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:04 pm

Robert, Robert, Robert. You of all people should appreciate the use of two sirens on a firtruck.

The electronic siren is not as loud as the Q siren. In my city, Ft Worth, the trucks respond with the electronic siren on. When the arrive at an intersectin and feel they have the need, they activate the airhorns. If traffic is heavy and not responding to the electronic siren they activate the Q siren and you can see the traffic moving over in a hurry. And nothing sound more cool than an approaching Whelen siren followed by a roaring Q and blasting Stuttertones!! And certain conditions like the engine having to drive the wrong way on the street require an extremely loud approach like Q and airhorns while regular response only requires the electronic siren.

I feel the electronic siren doesn't bother people like the Q would. I see other cities just have a Q. Even while winding down that thing is loud. Just driving arround Qing seems a bit over kill. That thing realy carries. This two siren approach seems to offer less noise polution and you of all people should appreciate that!

I like the idea of the Q used as a traffic clearing or intersection alternative.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 pm

q2bman wrote:Robert, Robert, Robert. You of all people should appreciate the use of two sirens on a firtruck.
And nothing sound more cool ... than blasting Stuttertones!!
What's that?
q2bman wrote:And certain conditions like the engine having to drive the wrong way on the street require an extremely loud approach like Q and airhorns while regular response only requires the electronic siren.

Often I drive silently on the opposite side of a long median. No need for siren because opposing traffic cannot help but see the EV coming right at them.
q2bman wrote:I feel the electronic siren doesn't bother people like the Q would.
Agreed.
q2bman wrote:I see other cities just have a Q. Even while winding down that thing is loud. Just driving arround Qing seems a bit over kill.

Hey, I like your new verb, "Q-ing"!!
What's that Christmas song? "...Q-ing in a winter wonderland"
Mechanical sirens get softer as rpms drop. So it is not too bad when slow.
q2bman wrote:That thing realy carries. This two siren approach seems to offer less noise polution and you of all people should appreciate that!
I like the idea of the Q used as a traffic clearing or intersection alternative.
I like them both, but the cost of both is not justified.
One electronic, which has P.A, and a real airhorn is sufficient.

Shinkansen

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:24 pm

q2bman wrote:Robert, Robert, Robert. You of all people should appreciate the use of two sirens on a firtruck.
And nothing sound more cool ... than blasting Stuttertones!!
robert gift wrote: Whats that?
Stuttertones are the horns by grover that have that Fire Engine sound to em Robert.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

Jim_Ferer

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 pm

That's right, Grover Stuttertones (sold to fire departments only) are the ones that go Baa, ba ba ba ba ba ba ba baaa! that make cars part like the Red Sea for Moses. Those puppies work.

Robert Gift

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:21 pm

What?

It is a single horn with an electronically activated valve which rapidly opens and closes - not someone quickly sounding the horn??

Never heard one.
Thanks

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”