kswx29

Whelens and Landline Activation

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 am

Are whelens capable of being activated via landline?

A silly question, but I don't think I have ever seen any Whelens being landline activated...except this one in St. Marys, Kansas.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.2 ... ,,0,-10.29
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

bwillcox

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 am

According to at least the Vortex manual, yes, there is an add-in board for the controller that will allow DTMF i/o via landline.

There's also another option board that allows QCII (aka two tone squential) activation.
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

EL1998P71

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 am

My Esc-864 cabinet for my WPS-2700 siren has the landline module.
I removed it but still have it somewhere.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 am

Texas Tech University uses landline activation for all of its sirens [which include 2 Whelen products]. In fact, we were having issues with our 2902's activating by themselves for some reason last year when they were first installed.
-The Princess

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 am

Many of the Whelens in the SONGS community alert system located throughout San Clemente are landline activated.

This siren, labeled "SC-10" in the system is one example even though it is solar powered and located on top of a hill away from other infrastructure. You can see a pole with telephone wires in the background of the first picture.

"Calling Out To All"

Rheems1

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 pm

When the Elizabethtown Fire Department first put thier siren up it was being activated by an old relay "can" from a landline. When the fire tones would go off, the old dialer (that used to set off an STH-10 on the old firehouse) would dial the landline number and trigger the Whelen Vortex. I have NO idea how they rigged it but it worked for a year or so, after that a module was added for the 2 tone sequential control (since it is all 2 tone sequential in Lancaster County). Interestingly enough, I am told that they now hate the Vortex and have hooked the dialer back up to the STH-10 and it is now sounding again... go figure!!

Dave Fritz

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”