Rick K

How do you remove the rotor on an STH-10??

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi guys.
I would like to remove the rotor on my STH-10 if it isn't too difficult to do. The reason for removal is for me to polish and clear coat the outside of it, so when you look down into the projectors the rotor is nice and shiny! Since it won't be mounted up on a pole, I figured I'd take this extra step in my "restoration." Any words of advice/caution would be very much appreciated!

Also, if you haven't already, you should check out my latest YT video of it! The motor and stator are a very bright green color now (Rustoleum Engine Enamel "Grabber Green"). The projectors will be shot in gloss black after I get them back from the sandblaster, and the intake tube will be the same green as the top half of the siren.

-Rick

Mysterious T-Bolt 111

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Now that is a very bright green alright! :shock: Darn! I wish I could remember how you could get the STH-10's rotor out! Maybe someone else can remember. Sorry! Great Job so far on the restoration Rick! 8)

dilloncarpenter

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 pm

I would assume you could just use a puller of some kind. Here's a pic of Ian Murr taking a Model 5 rotor off with one.

Kicking it in the siren party since '08

pyramid head

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Yes, you use a puller. For me taking the rotor off was easy, getting it back on took me a very long time using a block of wood, a torch and a hammer...
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Rick K

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone!! I just ordered a harmonic balancer puller. It'll be here on Saturday and I'll give it a shot!
Thanks again!
-Rick

Rick K

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Mysterious T-Bolt 111 wrote:Now that is a very bright green alright! :shock: Darn! I wish I could remember how you could get the STH-10's rotor out! Maybe someone else can remember. Sorry! Great Job so far on the restoration Rick! 8)

Thankyou very much for the compliment!!! I can't wait til it's done! (Not because I'm tired of working on it, instead because I want to see it all done!)

Archon

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 am

and a propane torch is very helpful if it does not come off easy. IF it's been on a long time you will need to heat it up around the shaft to get it of.f

landmobile

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 am

Archon wrote:and a propane torch is very helpful if it does not come off easy. IF it's been on a long time you will need to heat it up around the shaft to get it off
Here's a photo of my SD-10 rotor removal using a puller and some heat:

Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

Rick K

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 am

Archon wrote:and a propane torch is very helpful if it does not come off easy. IF it's been on a long time you will need to heat it up around the shaft to get it of.f
Cool! I'll heat the ol' torch up when I try and remove it this weekend!

Rick K

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

landmobile wrote:
Archon wrote:and a propane torch is very helpful if it does not come off easy. IF it's been on a long time you will need to heat it up around the shaft to get it off
Here's a photo of my SD-10 rotor removal using a puller and some heat:

Thanks for sharing that! The harmonic balancer puller that I ordered will be perfect then, coupled with a torch. Should be a winning combo. Maybe tomorrow I'll spray some penetrant in there too to help get everything loose, so I'll have no problems this weekend.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”