Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Question about Nuclear Station siren systems in GA.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Are there any nuclear stations or power plants in GA that have sirens? I heard there is one station that has whelens.
25, unfortunately not dead yet.
1950 Model A, 1940s Darley Champion
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:03 am

There are two nuclear power plants in the state of Georgia. There is the Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Power Plant and the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant. By law every nuclear power plant/nuclear facility has got to have a warning system within a 10 mile radius around the facility. That is why there are so many nuclear plants/utility companies that have been replacing siren systems in the last few years. It is not a choice, it is a requirement by the NRC.

I don't live in Georgia, so I couldn't tell you what type of sirens the two plants have. I recommend looking at the "Nuclear Power Plant Siren Systems" thread that is stickied here in the main forum.

http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2101
Last edited by Trey on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Notre.Dame1003

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 am

By law every nuclear power plant/nuclear facility has got to have a voice capable warning system
If it was against the law not to have voice, then TMI would not be getting T-128s. Are you sure you didn't mean battery backup?
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:48 am

Notre.Dame1003 wrote:
By law every nuclear power plant/nuclear facility has got to have a voice capable warning system
If it was against the law not to have voice, then TMI would not be getting T-128s. Are you sure you didn't mean battery backup?
Battery backup is the requirement; I stand corrected.

I forgot that Comanche Peak is upgrading their system slowly but surely to 2001s.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:59 am

Plant Vogtle in Waynesboro, GA has a system of Whelen WPS-3016s surrounding it within the 10-mile EPZ, and at least one of them is dual toned. Don't know of any replacement schedule anytime in the near future for those, but I'm sure they're becoming of age where it's likely been brought up before. Plant Hatch in Baxley, GA currently does not have an outdoor warning system within the EPZ to my knowledge, but there has been talk of seeking to install a system in the not-too-distant future. As of now, every household (and likely businesses as well) within its EPZ have tone alert radios that were given out by Georgia Power to warn residents of any possible hazards at the plant.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”