AllAmericanFE
YouTube Username: AllAmericanFE

Mod/EOWS on Montserrat

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:31 am

I was looking up videos on Montserrat tonight and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-gvbqAnYXU Sounds like a Modulator to me.

uncommonsense

Re: Mod/EOWS on Montserrat

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:07 am

Nice find. Pulsed steady isn't something you hear come out of Federal's sirens often.

Its 100% a Mod. Someone was kind enough to post a picture of one on TripAdvisor from the city of Plymouth (you'll never believe how much digging it took to turn this up!). The one in Plymouth, at least, is a Mod 3012. Link: http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/slidesho ... 2&fid=tp-9

I'm guessing the sirens went in somewhere around 1995...all the research I did seemed to indicate that's when the volcano started becoming a nuisance.

For what it is worth, its had its boxes replaced. That video is from 2007, while this article is from 2011: http://zjb.gov.ms/2011/09/19/montserrat ... i-project/

Unfortunately I can't turn up more than that at the moment, but its something.

Daniel

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I remember hearing a 2T22 on the news broadcast on the day of that eruption.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

BadgerSiren

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:18 pm

uncommonsense wrote:I'm guessing the sirens went in somewhere around 1995...all the research I did seemed to indicate that's when the volcano started becoming a nuisance.
A nuisance? That's an understatement. It killed 50+ people, destroyed and damaged hundreds of buildings, rendered half the island uninhabitable, and Plymouth was completely wiped out and abandoned.

I'm not sure what research you did, but a few simple Wikipedia searches will tell you what happened on that island and why that can't be Plymouth. Plymouth has been abandoned since 1997, and I don't see how anyone could really get to what was once Plymouth. It's just a bunch of ash-ridden, burned empty buildings, as you'll see in the helicopter flyovers of the island on Youtube. The volcano is still active and access to the southern half of the island is very restricted—it's called the "exclusion zone". Why would sirens be installed there when that half of the island was permanently evacuated in 1997?

I'm sure these sirens are on the northern half of the island which is still populated.
A resident of arguably the most siren-diverse county in history.

uncommonsense

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm

The nuisance comment was meant as a bit of rhetorical understatement. I ended up just reading documents I could find on emergency management; I didn't even look at anything mentioning the decimation of the island. That's my [very] bad! I'm not sure where that Mod is then. The photographer identified it as Plymouth, but if that can't be the case, I couldn't tell you more.

AllAmericanFE
YouTube Username: AllAmericanFE

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 am

Montserrat has been an island I am considering moving to later in life. Glad I found the video so I know they have a siren system.

Daniel

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

AllAmericanFE wrote:Montserrat has been an island I am considering moving to later in life. Glad I found the video so I know they have a siren system.
I would probably choose another island, unless you like volcanoes.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Videos and Media”