SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Bad News Brea

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:03 am

Over the weekend (on Saturday afternoon), I stopped by the fire station in Brea at 555 N. Berry Street to check out the Thunderbolt 1000T located on the training tower only to be told that it has recently been disconnected.

A month or two ago, the fire station underwent remodeling on the interior and in the process, the took out the AR timer that sat on the wall in the apparatus bay.

The holes in the wall have been patched and the walls themselves repainted; covering up any sign that the was an AR timer there.

A check of the main control panel (RCM-1) and the nearby vintage Square-D disconnect switch shows that there was still power going to the siren itself. The guy who accompanied me to look at it, Timothy, let me look in the RCM-1 and growl it for 1/2 a second so it still works. However, I was told that the upper floors of the training tower had been deemed unsafe (he pointed me to where it was sagging) and they may have plans to also tear the tower down as well (which also supports the Thunderbolt) so this may be the last time it would be there.

The good news though was that Tim also told me to contact another person at the station (Mr. Long) about the AR timer and that there may still be a chance that it's in storage somewhere. The Thunderbolt itself, however, I have to speak to the city hall about acquiring. Mr. Long was not there on the weekends but I was told to come back on Wednesday.

Timothy and I did look in a storage shed nearby but we didn't find the AR timer. He did spot this gray box on a shelf in the with the CD logo on it which we though was a Geiger counter but when we got it out for a closer look, it said Motorola Radio-telephone on it. :roll: :?:
"Calling Out To All"

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm

You got lucky! Most public officials and firemen don't seem to care about those of us trying to collect or restore this stuff. I hope you are able to prevent that Thunderbolt from being junked! If you do get hold of it and need help to haul it, I'd be happy to help if I'm in town, and if business permits.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Re: Bad News Brea

Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am

I know it's been five years since I last posted but I stopped by the Brea Fire Station/Public Works open house last Saturday (May 10) and found that the Thunderbolt had been dismantled sometime late in April when they began renovating the training tower. The blower and RCM are still there (moved against the back fence) but the head was nowhere to be found.

I asked around and was told by one person that it was in storage and may be reinstalled when renovation is complete although we looked around the place and couldn't find it. Another person said that some historical society acquired the head and were going to repaint and restore it.
:|
"Calling Out To All"

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”