shodowhater

Active 1000T in Richardson, TX?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:54 am

Digging through the "archives" of the fourm, I saw something about Richardson's system. Apparently they got their 128s in 2002, and that all the 1000Ts, 2T22s, and Allertors were disconnected. I then saw a reply, made by none other than CDV7777-1, in which he said he swore he heard a thunderbolt in the mix of 128s.

I have a friend who's also into sirens, and he swears that the 1000T closest to him (he says its station 4, I think it's station 3) is active.

Thoughts? I personally question it.

EDIT: to clarify, when i say station 4, I mean old station 4, not the current one.
Last edited by shodowhater on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Y'know what would suck? Driving a river." - Jeremy Munyon, 2019

Bryan

Re: Active 1000T in Richardson, TX?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 am

I don't think it is but I could be wrong, I know the 2t22s that were left were disconnected.

By the way the siren is at station 3, station 4 was being constructed when the current satellite image was taken.
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:43 am

I then saw a reply, made by none other than CDV7777-1, in which he said he swore he heard a thunderbolt in the mix of 128s.
Thoughts? I personally question it.
I have to say I have a bit of a problem here. You reference one of my posts where I said I thought I heard a Thunderbolt during a test in richardson.
Then you say you "question it." You didn't mention how old the post is. I was straining trying to remember when I posted that. I looked in the archives.
That was almost eight years ago. I posted on May 31, 2007 that I thought I heard a Thunderbolt during a richardson test and in the post I say that it was
about a year ago that I heard it. I now remember I was going into my dentist's office (at Floyd Road and Arapaho) on test day when I heard it but I don't
remember what direction it was coming from.
Shouldn't the title of your thread actually be "Active 1000T in Richardson, TX 9 years ago?"
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

uncommonsense

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:53 pm

There's still a TBolt standing in Richardson at the fire station on Plano Road and Collins The last time I drove past I tried to see if it had a new radio on it but I couldn't tell. I did find it a bit odd it was still up when they had all the T-128s up and active.

EDIT: While doing research, I think I proved it is still active.

Here's a Street View picture of that 'Bolt coming down Plano road: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.968119, ... e0!6m1!1e1

Here's the same Bolt going down Collins: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.967844, ... e0!6m1!1e1

Note: It has absolutely 100% rotated between the two times Google took photos (Jun/July 2012) and it didn't appear to be flapping in the wind when I've seen it. Now could it have been deactivated in two and a half years time? Of course. But in those photos it sure looks active to me.

Note: City of Richardson's Siren Map does not list this one on it for what its worth: http://www.cor.net/modules/showdocument ... entid=6696

Brendan Ahern

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:09 pm

It could have been blown by the wind. It doesn't have to be whipping around like a weathervane. Sometimes it takes a good gust to move it.

shodowhater

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm

uncommonsense- This is the thunderbolt in question here. Thanks!

Eric- I apologize for the confusion, and no the thread title shouldn't be "...9 years ago". I'm referring to now, and used your post from almost a decade ago as refrence.

Brendan- while possible, I doubt it was, as all of the dallas thunderbolts seem to have remained in their current position even during 70+ mph storms.
Last edited by shodowhater on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:25 pm

shodowhater wrote:e.

Brendan- no way in heck was it rotated by the wind. It's NEVER that windy here.

You're joking right? It has been THAT windy here many times. North Texas sees many days during the summer and the winter as well where winds can reach 50mph gusts. In addition to that there are a few storms each year that have straight-line winds that exceed 70+ mph. There was one such storm in the spring of 2014 that prompted a tornado warning for that area.
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

shodowhater

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 pm

mixerbd699 wrote:
shodowhater wrote:e.

Brendan- no way in heck was it rotated by the wind. It's NEVER that windy here.

You're joking right? It has been THAT windy here many times. North Texas sees many days during the summer and the winter as well where winds can reach 50mph gusts. In addition to that there are a few storms each year that have straight-line winds that exceed 70+ mph. There was one such storm in the spring of 2014 that prompted a tornado warning for that area.
Post fixed, thanks. I guess I live under Mr. Everest. Sorry bout that.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:04 am

I have often wondered if this unit was still operational as well. There is a T-128 not very far from this siren.
-The Princess

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:30 am

shodowhater wrote:Brendan- while possible, I doubt it was, as all of the dallas thunderbolts seem to have remained in their current position even during 70+ mph storms.
I wouldn't go as far to say all of them have remained in their current position. I pass by the sirens at fire stations 4 and 47 at least once a month and have noticed them both change directions in the past year. Wind is the only explanation I can figure, since I've been assured by the Dallas EM director that the old system is no longer tested.

If anybody's interested. Here's a map of the old Richardson system I put together awhile back.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... B47pJe7dr8

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”