Daniel

Re: Gresham, Oregon Fire Siren

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 am

It was removed when they built their new fire station in the late 90's.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

ACACyclone120

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:33 am

The Gresham siren or the Warrenton one?
I specialize in sirens in the Pacific NW. :thup:

coastalsyrolover

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:48 am

Daniel I would be willing to bet they scrapped the poor thing. ACA the Warrenton one.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Daniel

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Warrenton. The last time I saw it was when the building was under construction in the late 90's. It was sitting on a pallet behind the building and took up the whole pallet. It was a smooth, bright red cylinder with sixteen-port heads and no horns. I'd guess it was a later model from the sixties.

It looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHivMOdFiE

LukeH

Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 am

What came of the denver siren? Any pictures?
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Daniel

Sun May 31, 2015 9:27 pm

I live 200 miles from Portland. Perhaps someone who lives there would know. The last time I saw the sirens in Hillsboro, they were mounted to the old police station roof and it was around 1997. There was a Model 5 and, directly above it, a Denver Duplex mounted vertically. That building no longer exists.

coastalsyrolover

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

Daniel wrote:I live 200 miles from Portland. Perhaps someone who lives there would know. The last time I saw the sirens in Hillsboro, they were mounted to the old police station roof and it was around 1997. There was a Model 5 and, directly above it, a Denver Duplex mounted vertically. That building no longer exists.
There isn't a single siren in the open in hillsboro that I have seen. However I have heard talk about them. Probably have them in a basement or got scrapped or auctioned... (We in Oregon seem to be good about getting sirens to people who want them or keeping them in basements but we also see the occasional and annoying throwing away of parts and or sirens. Examples include in the order in my last sentence: My model 5 and thunderbolt siren, The sirens at the Otis fire station in the basement and my blower and almost my model 5...) My main point of the whole thing? We just don't know. And until me or someone else from this area asks around enough we probably won't know. I will create a new topic or bump this one if I hear about them.

Daniel

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:34 am

I want to know what happened to Portland's six Chryslers, their Decots, and their fifty sets of Buell horns.

coastalsyrolover

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:05 am

Daniel wrote:I want to know what happened to Portland's six Chryslers, their Decots, and their fifty sets of Buell horns.
The six chryslers were auctioned off. The only decot I have even heard hinted at was apparently one that was on a building near burnside street near the bridge. As "Legend" has it, it's still there. The buell horns probably were also auctioned off. May have been scrapped to considering the time period and how only a few worked before the chryslers were installed. I also seem to remember like a diaphone on mount tabor when I was little... But it's gone now. I can't really find the chryslers as they were sold to private parties and probably had the engines ripped out of them... But I will get to work on trying to confirm the decot thing and see if I can't get some insight on the buell horns.

Daniel

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

There are pairs of Buell horns at the fire stations in Amity and Millington (near Coos Bay), as well as a single one in Tygh Valley on a mechanic's garage that may have been a fire station. I suspect that these were bought from Portland's old system. These horns have two trumpets coming out of either side of a central diaphragm. Each horm had a 180° bend, and a second double horn was mounted above the first and turned 90° so the four horns pointed in four directions.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”