GabrielFairchild

Federal Signal Model 5AT Project Question

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:50 am

Hi there. I have a question about my federal model 5AT. I would like to remove the stator and chopper so I can send the motor to a repair shop to get rewired. I can't seem to figure out how to remove them, there seems to be some sort of pin on the shaft. Check out the attached pictures, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN0768.jpg
DSCN0775.jpg

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Federal Signal Model 5AT Project Question

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:38 am

That key (pin) will have to come out and a automotive type puller (used to pull harmonic balancers as an example) will be needed to pull the chopper free of the shaft...I suggest using a liberal amount of PB Blaster (available at any auto parts store) to help free things up for disassembly ..also pullers can be rented from some auto parts stores....
Last edited by Unit of Civil Defense on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

GabrielFairchild

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks for the help!
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

dilloncarpenter

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:54 pm

It looks like you might have to re-tap the holes on the hub of the rotor so you can get a solid connection with a puller. I had to do the same thing with my Model 5 when I had it. Harbor Freight sells a decent tap-and-die kit as well as a puller set. You might need to get a pair of grade 8 bolts that fit those holes as I don't think the ones that come with the puller are strong enough, or the right size.

Heat, PB Blaster or CRC Freeze-Off, and lots of leverage are your best friend when attempting to pull the rotor.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

GabrielFairchild

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:08 am

I went to Harbor Freight today to pick up the puller and I had to make a trip to the hardware store to get some better bolts. I put some WD-40 on the key and tried to pull it out with pliers it would not budge. I also noticed that the manual for my siren has a locking plate listed in the parts index. Am I missing the locking plate? And how do I get the key out?
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

Unit of Civil Defense

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:58 am

That key will have to be soaked for a few days.......when I work on my antique Ford I usually spray/soak the nuts or bolts around Wednesday that I will be loosening Saturday and Sunday........try tapping the key with a hammer to help loosen it up and use vice grip pliers to pull
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:26 am

I haven't figured out why people say to pull the key out.
Just deal with pulling the rotor. The key will stay in the shaft or come out with the rotor.
You won't be able to get the key out by itself. I have never tried to pull a key by itself before pulling a rotor or bearing etc.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Unit of Civil Defense

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56 am

.......with out seeing the motor housing itself I am guessing that he cannot access the stator/rotor from the back side by removing the housing bolts or the OP probably would have done that by now.......
....Lifes great, I'm 58

GabrielFairchild

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:41 am

Hi there, yesterday I went ahead and removed the chopper. I had to use stainless steel bolts because the zinc bolts were not strong enough. I heated up the area around the shaft with a torch and pounded the chopper with a hammer to loosen it, and that seemed to work the best. I also used PB Blaster on the shaft. I did have to rethread the chopper because the first time I tried with the zinc bolts stripped it. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
Attachments
DSCN0810.jpg
DSCN0799.jpg
DSCN0798.jpg
DSCN0779.jpg

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”