coopertbolt1

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:52 pm

My father-in-law lives is St. Peter's, MO. What sirens are in use in St. Peter's?
Bring back the thunderbolt, NOW.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:08 pm

St. Peters has 2001s, T-Bolts, 2T22s, and Thunderbeams.

FedTB

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:28 pm

St. Peters has 2 T-Bolt 1000T's, and unfortunately these are the last 2 T-Bolts left in St. Charles County. :cry: Wentzville has 2 deactivated T-Bolts that are still sitting up on telephone poles. The City of St. Charles used to have about 4 or 5 T-Bolts but those have been replaced by ASC T-128's.

Adam Pollak

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm

Jeff, do you know those T-Bolt locations in Wentzville or the locations of any other older sirens in St. Charles County? St. Charles still has an old Allertor up on on of its old fire stations near downtown.

Ron, is this the type of siren that you believe you saw back in St. Louis County? While it is dual-headed and does resemble an overall 500T/550T, it looks different than the pictures of the sirens I've seen from the Colorado Springs area. One side looks a lot smaller than the 500Ts I have seen in person before.

FedTB

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 am

Adam, there is a dual-headed siren on top of Pattonville Fire District Station # 1 on Fee Fee Road similar to (or exactly like???) the one you have pictured above. Have you seen that siren that I mentioned in your travels? If not, the firehouse is located on Fee Fee Road just off of St. Charles Rock Road. And across the street from the fire station is a T-Bolt 1000T. I know it's a dual-tone because I watched it go off a few years ago on test day.

The Wentzville T-Bolts: one is located at Wentzville-Holt High School and the other one is located next to a water tower on East Pierce near Business Loop 61. When these 2 T-Bolts were still activated, the old part of Wentzville was well-covered, as these were not too far from eachother. Both of these T-Bolts still look to be in great shape. I do not know if they are single or dual-toned. I'm guessing they were deactivated around 1990 when the Whelen WPS-3016's were installed.

The deactivated Allertor is still up on the roof of the former St. Charles Fire Department Station # 1, as you have pictured. I know a firefighter who used to work at that station, and one day I asked him about the siren, and he told me how loud it was when it was activated, especially if you were up on the second floor, and how he could hear the gears grinding that made the siren rotate, especially if he stood directly below the ceiling where the siren was.

Up until 10 or so years ago, maybe a little longer, the Allertor still had juice running to it and was accidentally activated in the middle of the night by a severe thunderstorm. A bolt of lightning struck nearby and off went the siren. Evidentally it wailed non-stop for over an hour before someone was able to shut the power off to it.

That's an odd shade of yellow on that old Allertor. You can tell it was never a true CD Yellow.

500AT

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 am

Adam Pollak wrote:
Ron, is this the type of siren that you believe you saw back in St. Louis County? While it is dual-headed and does resemble an overall 500T/550T, it looks different than the pictures of the sirens I've seen from the Colorado Springs area. One side looks a lot smaller than the 500Ts I have seen in person before.
No, the siren I saw looked just like the Federal 550AT located out in Colorado Springs. However, from what I remember from talking with the local Federal Signal siren tech in the early 1980s, he said "the 550AT was an SD-10 laying on its side, but did rotate. However, it did receive a design upgrade that resulted in a more narrow beam width for more direct sound propagation, just like later Model 500ATs."

The siren that is pictured, looks like a Federal horizontal double-tone siren, but does it rotate? I do want to say that all of the CD sirens that I saw in St. Louis County back in 1971, were painted CD Yellow.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Adam Pollak

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 am

Jeff, that picture is from Bridgeton-Pattonville Fire Station #1, but when I went by recently, the siren had been removed. I've already started the frantic phone calls about it (meaning the rest of you on the board please don't undercut me on that). I actually had to camp out at that station freshman year...which sort of leads itself to a long story, but it is interesting.

I was dead set on hearing a T-128 test from St. Charles at 9 am so my friend and I woke up way early to walk over to the Delmar MetroLink station. We took that up to the North Hanley station where we waited for one of the SCAT (horrible name, but St. Charles Area Transit) buses to come to bring us over to St. Charles. We ended up missing the bus we needed, so we asked someone what bus we could take that would get us as close to St. Charles as possible. They told us the Earth City route, so we hopped on that bus and went out to Earth City. We were talking to people on th bus (they are always so friendly here) and telling him where we were trying to go and he happened to have a friend that worked for a cab company, so he called him up and he met us there in Earth City. We drove across the Missouri and got dropped off around 5th St. and Boone's Lick. We walked down Boone's lick to the T-128 and waited for it to go off, which it failed to due because of very overcast skies. During that waiting time, we were sitting on th sidewalk in front of an office building parking lot. A man that worked there asked what we were up to and we told him and he then offered us a ride to get something to eat. So we ended up eating at the Denny's just caddy-corner to the Ark. Somehow after that we ended up at Pattonvile FS #1 and I have no idea how we ended up getting over there, since I don't believe pedestrians are allowed on the Blanchette Bridge. We waited for the Thunderbolt nearby to go off, but St. Louis County also scrubbed the test due to the overcast weather, so we ended up walking along Rock Road until we caught a MetroBus and headed back to Wash U.

Anyway, getting back on topic again, I hope to find out what happened to that Bridgeton-Pattonville siren and also get pics of the Wentzville T-Bolts. I've covered essentially all of STL County's and City's sirens, but I need to get photos of some St. Charles County ones still.

FedTB

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:24 am

There is a video of a 550AT on Youtube and it does sound exactly like an SD-10.

It appears that the old dual-headed siren that Adam has pictured was a rotational siren, because it appears that the horns are offset from the base, the way it's sitting.

500AT

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 am

FedTB wrote:There is a video of a 550AT on Youtube and it does sound exactly like an SD-10.
Really? where at, got a link?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

FedTB

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:03 pm

The Youtube video is called 'Early 500AT test.'

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”