cauberallies

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I don't know about Foot of ten. I haven't been there in years. I know they had a Model 2. The main station with the brown SD-10 by the fuel tanks isn't more than a mile or two from Foot of Ten. I know I've heard of keystone search and rescue, but I don't know off the top of my head where it is. Another one around Altoona is Kittaning Trail VFD. I think it might actually be inside the Altoona city limits. You go back 58th st, and follow the signs to Ebner Elementary School. It's right across the street. They have a single phase STH-10 with a "Darley" style cap over the motor. I think I might just have to run over there and snag a picture of it today.

Here are some more local departments I can think of off the top of my head:
Newburg VFD in Altoona/Logan twp. has a Fedelcode Model 2,
Geeseytown VFD on Rt 22 east of Hollidaysburg has an SD-10, Duncansville VFD has a very low mounted SD-10,
Phoenix in Hollidaysburg has an STL-10
Allegheny Twp. has their brown SD-10
Freedom VFD in East Freedom has an STH-10
There is a VFD in Williamsburg that has a Model 5/7, I can't think of their name.

The four remaining Altoona air raid sirens are:
An SD-10 on top of an old school at 6th avenue and 24th st
An STH-10 on a building downtown across the street from the Post Office
An STL-10 on a small former school building on Wopsononock Ave and Juniata Gap Rd.
An STH-10 on the far end of the northernmost building in the Norfolk Southern complex.

There is another siren in the Norfolk Southern complex, a Model 3 on the roof of a green and white building along Chestnut ave. I don't know what it's purpose was, because there were two other air raid sirens in the Norfolk Southern complex. An STL-10 on a steel tower southernmost building, and the STH-10 on the northernmost building. The Model 3 is barely 1/4 mile from where the STL-10 was located, but then again, there were two other air raid sirens not that much farther away, so it very well could have been an air raid siren. In an area that covers about half a square mile, there were 4 sirens. The Model 3 and STL-10 on the south end of the NS complex, an STH-10 downtown, and an SD-10 on a pole on the hill directly opposite the Model 3. With how close together Altoona's sirens were placed, they must have been intended to warn people indoors as well as out. Here is a picture I took almost a decade ago.
Before the system was dismantled, there were spots in town you could see 5-6 sirens from at the same time. There were lots of sirens that I never found, and it drives me nuts wondering what they were, and where they were located. I know there was at least one Thunderbolt in the system that I never saw, and probably half a dozen other sirens I don't know about.

There are two other stations around here with sirens that I can't seem to find. Warriors Mark VFD in Warriors Mark, PA(Just outside Blair, in Huntington county) has one for sure, as I have friends that live right next to it who hear it all the time, and the other being Logan United VFD on Grandview rd. right outside the Altoona city limits near the PSU Altoona campus. The former Grandview VFD, which was right across the road from the where Logan United is located, had a red Model 5/7. Have either of you seen sirens at either of these locations?

There is a VFD in Claysburg with a red/black single tone Model 5/7. And a few months back, I was sitting outside subway in Roaring Spring with my now ex-girlfriend, and I heard an SD-10 that couldn't have been more than a couple hundred yards away, along with a more distant, but still clearly audible STH-10. That was the closest I've ever been to a siren while it was sounding. Yes, you heard right. I've been an active siren enthusiast since the warningsirens.org days, and I've NEVER seen a siren go off. I've never been present for a siren test, or happened to be passing by when one was sounding for a call. Nothing.
I have been meaning for several months to take a trip down to Mount Union to record their dual-rotor Fedelcode. I spoke to a member of the department who got permission from the chief to test it whenever.

There is also a 3T22 near Glassport, PA that I am planning to record as soon as they fix the stuck solenoid damper, and I want to record, or even just hear the Glassport 1000T so bad it's ridiculous. If they won't test it anymore, I'm half tempted to just drive down and sit in the parking lot of the convenience store across the street until it goes off one day. Someone just recently posted a video on youtube of it sounding some distance away, and I've watched it probably 50 times over the past few days. It's my new favorite siren recording.
Last edited by cauberallies on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modulator Master

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Well Jackson Twp.(Vinco)has one with its blower cover off, but I don't know if the T-bolt is a dual or single tone.
And they have a Model 2 ahead on route 271 north of Vinco.
Oh and in May I'm gonna get a Closeup recording of Westwood's Federal Dual head siren.

Btw I was in Roaring Spring 2 years ago, and I saw a Sterling Y-5 on top of one of the buildings.
Monitoring Cambria and Somerset Counties.
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz13 ... n_archive/

Rheems1

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:33 pm

The Jackson Township siren is a single tone siren, boy is it loud though!!! I was in South Fork when Jackson Township had a call and I thought the Thunderbolt was in South Fork somewhere. The Sterling siren should be on the same building as the SD-10, I have seen that building a number of times but never actually found the firehouse LOL. Does Martisburg have more than 1 siren or is the SD-10 by the feed mill the only siren in town? I am getting ready to head back up to Martinsburg, there is a shoe and boot outlet there that gets the seconds from Warrington Pro fire boots and you can get a pair of Pros real cheap. I have no idea where it is, but I figure that even driving around for a half hour (and driving the 2 hours to get there) will be much cheaper than buying a new pair!!!

Modulator Master

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:47 pm

There is a model 7 in Martinsburg as well as an SD-10.

cauberallies

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Rheems1 wrote:The Jackson Township siren is a single tone siren, boy is it loud though!!! I was in South Fork when Jackson Township had a call and I thought the Thunderbolt was in South Fork somewhere. The Sterling siren should be on the same building as the SD-10, I have seen that building a number of times but never actually found the firehouse LOL. Does Martisburg have more than 1 siren or is the SD-10 by the feed mill the only siren in town? I am getting ready to head back up to Martinsburg, there is a shoe and boot outlet there that gets the seconds from Warrington Pro fire boots and you can get a pair of Pros real cheap. I have no idea where it is, but I figure that even driving around for a half hour (and driving the 2 hours to get there) will be much cheaper than buying a new pair!!!

That would be the Cove shoe factory outlet. It shouldn't be too hard to find. I forget exactly where it is, but I know I've seen it.

And yes there is a Model 7 on a pole next to the municipal building. If my memory serves me right, it's a block back from the main road that takes you through town. You can see it if you keep your eyes peeled.

Modulator Master

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 pm

So do you know where any of the other sirens are in Roaring Spring, other then that sterling?
Btw that storm we had here in PA, did a number of damage in J-town, especially at the Johnstown Municipal Golf Course near Station 27(Upper Yoder Twp.).

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”