Busgeek71

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Owasso, OK does their silent tests in conjunction to audible tests. They silent test twice daily and sound them the first week of the month. I think it is fine, but sounding is important. It helps especially with a new system; The new ATIs there sound nothing like the old T22s, and residents have been confused as far as tones during warnings. The city has done attack and alert with tornado warnings and tests (and WM Chime), so nobody knows how to be informed outside. Alert isn't even listed as a warning tone, per the city.

ACAP10

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks for the detailed info, guys. I think it's a good idea for the residents to actually hear the sirens just to be familiar with them. I wish they would supplement traditional siren tests with silent tests.

Hacksaw

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:37 am

I know Oakland CA has the Growl test option for their 2001's.

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Allertor113 wrote: Also, kind of Off-topic here but: Do 2001-130's have an independent rotator? or a gear-reducer of some sort?
Direct-drive independent rotator.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

Grasshopper

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Quiet test on Federal Signal sirens are different on Mechanical sirens and electronic.

On a mechanical siren, as in a 2001, Elcipse or STH10 for example... the siren is bumped just enough to where it draws current. This tests the current sensor, chopper and power source. So it truth it is not really a "Quiet" test. It's a "burp"

On an electronic siren like a modulator or DSA the amplifiers produce a 20K hertz tone over the speakers that draws just enough current to test the speakers and amps. It takes a sample voltage and current reading relative to what the amps are calibrated to. Dogs may be able to hear it, but as far as the human ear goes you won't hear it.

Make sense?

ACAP10

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Gotcha, thanks for the answers guys. Makes a little more sense, but I still wish they would do a regular test :)

kb4mdz

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:33 pm

I thought that's what I said..... maybe I'm being too wordy again.
Grasshopper wrote:Quiet test on Federal Signal sirens are different on Mechanical sirens and electronic.

On a mechanical siren, as in a 2001, Elcipse or STH10 for example... the siren is bumped just enough to where it draws current. This tests the current sensor, chopper and power source. So it truth it is not really a "Quiet" test. It's a "burp"

On an electronic siren like a modulator or DSA the amplifiers produce a 20K hertz tone over the speakers that draws just enough current to test the speakers and amps. It takes a sample voltage and current reading relative to what the amps are calibrated to. Dogs may be able to hear it, but as far as the human ear goes you won't hear it.

Make sense?
Last edited by kb4mdz on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kb4mdz

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Yup. Mechanical or electronic, full volume tests always ROCK!!

ACAP10 wrote:Gotcha, thanks for the answers guys. Makes a little more sense, but I still wish they would do a regular test :)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”