Mac

Mystery Pulsing siren?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

I was talking to my mother about sirens (no, this doesn't happen often), and I asked her if she remembered any sirens from when she was growing up.

She grew up in a town called Ardsley, New York. It was a fire siren that was used to call firefighters- this was in the '60's.

From her description, it wasn't a Hi-lo like I was thinking, but rather an abrupt on-off ? Though she never saw it, she is fairly sure it was a siren. From her description I believe it sounded something like a giant Vibratone horn, so I'm not sure it wasn't a giant horn?

Were there many horns used in fire departments in NY that could be heard 5+ miles away?
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 am

The Gamewell Type B (Diaphone) is the first thing that comes to mind. http://hornandwhistle.com/articles1.htm
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Daniel

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 am

If it wasn't a diaphone or a tyfon, it could have been a coded siren.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Jpressman8

Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:08 am

five liter V8

Rheems1

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:46 pm

The Ardsley, NY Fire Department has a set of diaphram horns on the roof of the former firehouse. They have been there for quite a while, they never had a siren of any kind (I asked the last time I was there shooting pictures of thier apparatus). The diaphram horns sound very nice... I am told that they have since put up a Whelen to go along with the diaphram horns.

Dave Fritz

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 83,,0,7.46

Whelen siren can be clearly seen and the the diaphram horns are on the roof of the municpal building in the left of the picture

Mac

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Thank you Dave! I think I posted some pictures of the Wheelen a while ago on here from the other angle- I never thought to look for horns though.
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”