Westgate Thunderbolt

Phoenix, Arizona H.O.R. Super Sirex

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I just today purchased an H.O.R. Super Sirex that came from the old Maricopa County, Arizona Civil Defense siren system. For a refresher refer to this thread: http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=12155

A month ago I took a short 80 plus mile trip to North Scottsdale, Arizona to take a look at this siren. This guy was asking $7,500.00 for the siren. I made a quick stop at the bank on the way and withdrew $2,000.00. Given the rarity, I felt it was worth it. When I got there I gave it a quick look over and made him an offer. He wasn't even slightly interested. He said he thought it was worth considerably more. He said he was trying to sell it for reuse. I basically tried explaining to him that no one looking for a siren would pay that amount for a used siren when they could buy a new one with more capabilities. I gave him my maximum offer of $2,000.00, but he still wasn't interested. I then told him to do a little research and to let me know if he reconsiders.

Here it is a month later. I was doing a Craigslist search for sirens earlier this week when I come across a tornado siren for sale in Omaha, Nebraska for $5,500.00. I read the listing and the siren was located in Phoenix. I knew it was the same seller. I giggled a little because when I visited him last I told him I was originaly from Omaha and that they used sirens extensively for tornado warning. I guess he just used that information to try and market his siren further. I sent him another email to let him know I was still interested. In my email I gave him web links to sirens that are selling or have sold for much less than what he is asking. To my surprise he replied back and said if I want it he will accept my $2,000.00 cash offer. I told him I would meet with him on Saturday and finalize the sale.

I just left from meeting the seller where the siren is stored. I wasn't able to load the siren today, but it is paid for. The only parts I took with me are the control cabinet and the base stand. This siren is a very well constructed solid monster! I have some pictures that I can post later.

SirenMadness

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Good luck with that, man! Keep us posted! :D
~ Peter Radanovic

bellyjae

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Now someone needs to buy the Federal STH-10 that's just rusting away in Peoria AZ (83rd Ave and Peoria just behind the Wendy's). It's been there since i was a kid and as far as i know hasn't been hooked up to electric for a long time.
"Hi floor! Make me a sammich!"

Pete

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:59 pm

You sir...are The Man.

Is it dual toned or single toned?

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 pm

I LOVE YOU

CONGRATS!!! I'm glad it's going to a good home rather than sitting somwhere else. Please for the love of god post photos!
:D :D :D :D :D
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Mac

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Probably one of the coolest sirens ever made!

Does that make you the only member of this forum with one?

Congratulations!
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Mysterious T-Bolt 111

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 am

In seriousness, that's awesome that you got a piece of rare equipment in your hands. Are you planning on making a video of the chopper?

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 am

The pictures are up. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58979889@N ... 991933555/ They aren't very good. I will get better pictures after I get it home.

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 am

Congratulations! Great siren to save! :D
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Dude, Awesome find! I wonder what sirens this leaves unowned by collectors :?:
-Calvin Mayer