kb3mzw

something electrical and useful for sirens

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 am

Wanted to show this cool little thing. If anyone hasn't seen this before, it's available at Walmart, RV supply stores and Boat supply stores. It converts a 15amp female 3 prong standard household receptacle to a 30amp male 3 prong connector. In my case, this will work perfectly because the only accessible 240v outlet in my house at the moment is my dryer outlet. This could also work if you have a large siren on a trailer if you "tote" you siren from place to place and depending on the locations electrical current availability and prong configuration you can easily swap out adapters to accommodate the differences. My plan is to keep it simple, I'm going to wire up a standard household 3 prong 120v male plug to the chopper motor and then use the prong converter accordingly to go back and forth between 120 and 240 if the situation calls for it. There are also other adapters for different prong configuration conversions. This particular one just so happens to be the one that will work in my current situation.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2181_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6626_n.jpg
Proudly own: Thunderbolt 1003A, K6LAR1L/K5LA train horns, Graham-White locomotive Bell, MD Hancock 3 Chime Long-bell Steam Whistle

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 am

What you have is a NEMA TT-30 adapter (Travel Trailer-30 amp 120 volt plug) to a regular NEMA 5-15 (Standard 15 amp 120 volt plug)

Often, the Travel Trailer TT-30 outlets are confused with the similar looking NEMA 10-30 (240 volt 30 amp electric clothes dryer outlet) that were used until 1996. Note the shape of the bottom pin, the 10-30 240 volt is "L" shaped and the TT-30 is U shaped.

120 volt 30 amp "Travel Trailer"

240 volt 30 amp "Dryer Outlet"
"Calling Out To All"

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”