FedTB

For the Missouri and St. Louis area siren enthusiasts...

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Last week Wednesday morning my family and I set out on a trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a few days. We took I-44 down to Springfield, then Hwy. 65 south into Arkansas, to Eureka Springs. Along I-44, here are some sirens that I saw:

Sullivan, Mo.: Two Whelen 2800 series sirens and a Whelen WPS-3016.

Cuba, Mo.: An Allertor on Hwy. 19 just north of I-44, at the water tower. I also saw a 2T22 in Cuba just north of I-44, about a mile or so west of Hwy. 19.

Rolla, Mo.: A T-Bolt on the south side of I-44 just southeast of an overpass. I'm not sure if it was on Vichy Rd., University Drive or Bishop Rd.

Dixon, Mo. exit: A gray Model 5 mounted on a pole, on Hwy. 28, north of I-44 at the water tower. Dixon actually sits several miles north of I-44, so I'm not sure whose city limits the siren was in. According to a Google Map there's no actual town at that exit. There were a couple of small hotels there and a mini mart.

Lebanon, Mo.: A pole mounted T-Bolt right next to I-44 on the south side of the highway. You can't miss it. The blower box is mounted on a platform several feet off the ground. I also saw a 2001 in Lebanon south of I-44, southwest of the T-Bolt.

Marshfield, Mo.: A 2001 near I-44.

BTW, I saw NO sirens in Eureka Springs. I did see a 2001 in Berryville, Arkansas, along Hwy. 62, which leads to Eureka Springs.

uncommonsense

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

That pretty well sums up what sirens were visible along 44 from St. Louis to Springfield. Used to see all those units when I lived in Springfield and had to make the Springfield to St. Louis drive.

The only thing that's missing is Sullivan has an insanely low mounted Whelen 2016 with the horns angled downward at their baseball fields. You can see it very clearly from the highway, but it's a blink-and-you-miss-it moment.

Someone said here awhile ago that Cuba has Mods now and the old sirens don't work, but I've never seen Mods in that area to know.

Along 65, you probably didn't see much. Springfield has 2001s and Branson has Whelen 2705s with a few Mods thrown into the mix. One of the Mods is just barely visible from the road while the Whelens are scattered along the highway. Ozark has a visible Thunderbeam along 65, but it blends in and is extremely easy to miss.

Thanks again for the report!

FedTB

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Yep, I did see the Thunderbeam in Ozark. I also saw one of Branson's 2705s, on the east side of Hwy. 65 near a water tower. That's the only one I saw. I didn't see any mods in Branson.

I didn't see any mods in Cuba, only the sirens that I mentioned. The 3016 that I saw in Sullivan was near the ball fields but the horn was in proper position and not pointed downward.

uncommonsense

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 pm

FedTB wrote:The 3016 that I saw in Sullivan was near the ball fields but the horn was in proper position and not pointed downward.
No...its a WS-2016. And this is the best I can find to show you (its not a good representation at all...look at the shadow the siren casts off). The siren is in the center next to whatever shed/building that is.

http://goo.gl/maps/cgEc8

If you have Google Earth, it becomes a bit clearer.

FedTB

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

I'd never heard of a 2016. After looking it up I've discovered that it closely resembles a Federal DSA. Nonetheless, I didn't see one near the ball fields.

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Good to know about those locations! I'm going back down to Branson this year for vacation and it's always good to know some siren locations. Where are the older ones in Branson located at again?
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Rolla has a SD-10 or 5T also.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:Where are the older ones in Branson located at again?
Here's what I have for Branson's system, though it's not all the sirens they have. I do have the three SD-10s on the map, but there's still some Whelens and whatnot missing from it.

http://goo.gl/maps/MBKty

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Cross Timbers, MO has a T-121, some other small town along there has a T121, other than that, it's mostly 2001 country, I think I may have seen an STH-10, however, it was pretty obscured by trees, either that or it's that other T-121 I'm thinking of.

Springfield also has a STH-10, over by the JQH arena near some Tennis courts, also near the JQH arena is a 2001 series, there is a parking garage nearby, filming that 2001 from the top level of that parking garage could be a really cool video, sadly, the JQH arena blocks the view of the STH-10 from said parking garage.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:50 pm

weasel2htm wrote:Cross Timbers, MO has a T-121, some other small town along there has a T121, other than that, it's mostly 2001 country, I think I may have seen an STH-10, however, it was pretty obscured by trees, either that or it's that other T-121 I'm thinking of.

Springfield also has a STH-10, over by the JQH arena near some Tennis courts, also near the JQH arena is a 2001 series, there is a parking garage nearby, filming that 2001 from the top level of that parking garage could be a really cool video, sadly, the JQH arena blocks the view of the STH-10 from said parking garage.
Newburg.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”