kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

The Beverly Hills, CA Thunderbolts; Anyone have pictures?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Just wondering if there are any known COLOR photos showing the Beverly Hills Thunderbolts. I have found a few (courtesy of Wirechief, Polar Inertia, and others), but they're black & white, and I have never found any information about testing, or if they were taken offline in January of '86 with the rest of LA County.

I have a VAGUE memory of the one in the median of Sunset Blvd near Beverly Drive being white. I wouldn't be surprised if BH did that, because their street signs are white, and they're very conscious of scenery (Federal Safety Yellow not so matching to the background, I guess)...

It would be great if there were an official list someplace to be found :idea:

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: The Beverly Hills, CA Thunderbolts; Anyone have pictures

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Do you mind posting the 1986 photos? It may be possible to cross-reference and find where they are (or were).
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Brendan W wrote:Do you mind posting the 1986 photos? It may be possible to cross-reference and find where they are (or were).
Sorry for any confusion; the photos are from the 1950s. It was '86 when LA County abandoned the siren program (presumably disabling Beverly Hills' system as well).

I can't find the photos I referred to, and ironically, a quick search of vintage photos of Beverly Hills, turned this one up... And this is the FIRST photo in their album and is just happens to have an SD-10 standing tall & proud on the north side of Wilshire Bl at appx. Crescent or Rexford Dr. The only building still there, that I recognize, is the old Beverly Wilshire Hotel on the south side of Wilshire. That's how I came up with the SD-10 being at Crescent or Rexford (a few blocks east of the hotel). I'll think hard, and try to find those old photos of the T-Bolts. One was at Olympic & Beverwil, and the other was in the median of Sunset Blvd, if I recall.

Link to the SD-10 photo:

http://beverlyhillsconfidential.org/2012/06/30/131/

Charles

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Brendan W wrote:Do you mind posting the 1986 photos? It may be possible to cross-reference and find where they are (or were).
Sorry for any confusion; the photos are from the 1950s. It was '86 when LA County abandoned the siren program (presumably disabling Beverly Hills' system as well).

I can't find the photos I referred to, and ironically, a quick search of vintage photos of Beverly Hills, turned this one up... And this is the FIRST photo in their album and is just happens to have an SD-10 standing tall & proud on the north side of Wilshire Bl at appx. Crescent or Rexford Dr. The only building still there, that I recognize, is the old Beverly Wilshire Hotel on the south side of Wilshire. That's how I came up with the SD-10 being at Crescent or Rexford (a few blocks east of the hotel). I'll think hard, and try to find those old photos of the T-Bolts. One was at Olympic & Beverwil, and the other was in the median of Sunset Blvd, if I recall.

Link to the SD-10 photo:

http://beverlyhillsconfidential.org/2012/06/30/131/

Charles
The SD-10 is gone. I looked at both of the intersections you mentioned. Were the Tbolts pole mounted?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Brendan W wrote:
The SD-10 is gone. I looked at both of the intersections you mentioned. Were the Tbolts pole mounted?
The two that I saw the photos of, were pole-mounted. If I can't find those pics on this site, or on the Internet someplace, I bet I have them saved on an old computer. I think I found and posted them here about 7 or 8 years ago (likely were property of, and credit given to) someone else on the old board. I'm guessing that the SD-10s were placed among tall buildings due to blocked line of sound waves, and the T-Bolts were placed in areas with 1 & 2 story buildings where they would spread around.

Charles

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”