Mac

It's a big horn.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:59 am

Can anyone tell me about this horn I picked up? It has absolutely no markings that I can find. I was told it was military, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. It had supposedly been hooked up outside to a record player. The diameter is about 19", as is the length.

Any idea on what it is, or how I can test it / hook it up would be most appreciated.
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Re: It's a big horn.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:47 pm

It looks obviously like a PA speaker. Of make, model, year and specs I have no idea. To test it if you have a multi-tap PA amp I would try to find the input on the speaker and start with I think the lowest impedance output first and slowly rase the volume. If nothing happens then you need to go up in impedance. If those do not work and you have an amp with voltage outputs I would start at 25V and work your way up if it does not work.

So it would be like 4Ohm, 8Ohm, 16Ohm, 25V, 70V, 100V, as an example. And of course have the volume set to 0 when you start.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Unit of Civil Defense

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 pm

...It does look vaguely familiar...seen a few of them during my military career...they where either mounted to the side of the barracks or mounted on a pole. The ones that I heard played Reveille in the morning and Taps in the evening from a recording...don't know if was a record or tape recording...I guess it could have been used as a P.A speaker as well.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Mac

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 am

Thanks guys. I don't have anything to hook it up to... I'll have to start checking CL and see if I can find something. If all else fails, they can't be that hard to make, can they?
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:13 am

Atlas Soundolier ?

The setup with the two twist-lock plugs and sockets makes me think that a group of these may have be daisy chained. I also believe it was used on a 70 volt constant voltage speaker system. You may be able to bypass or eliminate the transformer in the connection box to use on a regular amplifier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-v ... ker_system
"Calling Out To All"

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”