Badger 12

Broadmoor Escape sirens?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:47 am

I had a few questions about the siren system set up to warn of an escape from the hospital for the criminally insane. I know that there are 13 sirens and most if not all do a high, low tone. Some have some problems and they are tested every Monday at 10:00 A.M. But I heard most are being removed or replaced an I'd like somebody to clarify that for me. Also a list of what sirens are in use as well as their locations would also be appreciated, but I mostly want to know if they are removing or replacing the sirens.
Proud owner of a Blue Light and future owner of an STH-10

Avensis
New User

Re: Broadmoor Escape sirens?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 pm

With regards to the sirens that are being removed, this video should help you out a little

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOo1HVOtTYI[/youtube]

I highly doubt that any of the removed sirens will be preserved or sold to the public, the council here don't care much for sentiment. Plus there'll still be many functioning sirens to hear.
Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, for all the right reasons

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:22 am

Avensis wrote:With regards to the sirens that are being removed, this video should help you out a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOo1HVOtTYI

I highly doubt that any of the removed sirens will be preserved or sold to the public, the council here don't care much for sentiment. Plus there'll still be many functioning sirens to hear.
I went ahead and fixed that for you.

To emmbed a video you do this:

Code: Select all

[youtube]lOo1HVOtTYI[/youtube]
The characters after the = sign in the address are used.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Avensis
New User

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Don't Panic!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Last Summer, West London Mental Health NHS Trust were looking at various sirens, including those made by Klaxon, as replacements. They are aware of the nostalgia about the sirens and gave a favourable indication that there maybe the possibility of purchasing the decommissioned sirens.

Avensis
New User

Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:18 pm

If they had the budget, I think it would be good to replace all 13 of them with about 7 or 8 Whelen 2900 units from the US, or something similar. There would be more than sufficient coverage, and the voice announcements would be a great bonus. The current Klaxons aren't too impressive in terms of volume. Also, not too long ago I went to Chavey Down to hear the siren there and during the all clear it operated with the dampers completely shut

Don't Panic!

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Avensis wrote:If they had the budget, I think it would be good to replace all 13 of them with about 7 or 8 Whelen 2900 units from the US, or something similar. There would be more than sufficient coverage, and the voice announcements would be a great bonus. The current Klaxons aren't too impressive in terms of volume. Also, not too long ago I went to Chavey Down to hear the siren there and during the all clear it operated with the dampers completely shut

There is a budget of £250,000/$400,000 to replace the sirens and control gear to operate with new British Telecom fibre optic cabling. That should allow a choice of electronic or motor sirens to be made. I would like if they got replaced with a British air chopper, however, the Whelan 2900 is a great siren!

The current Klaxon coded CS/GP8 sirens are powered by a 3KW motor, the way the shutters alternate with one stator open and one closed at any one time does drastically reduce their output in the escape alert mode. They would be more effective if the shutters opened in unison or since there is no longer the civil defence siren network in the UK, they could remove the shutters and adjust the sirens to give the classic Blitz wail alert.

Klaxon no longer produce the GP8 or coded shutters, their only dual-tone motor siren is the GP12 powered by an 11 KW motor. Klaxon also have their ES range of wide area, electronic sirens.

I have run my Castle Castings sirens, powered by a 3.7 KW motor, placed at or near ground level, and they have been heard 4 miles away and even one report of it being heard 6 miles away!

MKIIProductions
YouTube Username: MKIIProductions
Discord: ncognito#6466

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Ah, Broadmoor! I was wondering about the Carter/Gents or Klaxon 10/12 port sirens- with their already apocalyptic sound- what they would sound like in a high-low alternating tone.

And here you go; Klaxon does it with the shutters and produces the CS8 and GP8. Pretty neat effect in High-Low, but still doesn't raise the hair on your back like attack mode does.

Even the XT22 line gets your attention in attack mode, but they have nothing on the old Carters and Klaxons when it comes down to that... it has to do with the power frequency. Carters are designed to run on 50hz power, while anything designed over here runs on 60hz power. It sure makes one hell of a difference in the sound that the sirens produce... even though the XT22 line (plus others too) and the Klaxon CS/GP8, Castle Castings, and other Carter/Gents sirens carried the same 10/12 port ratio.

Sucks that they're ridding of them! I'd like to have one just for nostalgia's sake... even if I couldn't run it over here!
The unofficial ARS resident white noise since 2010
http://www.youtube.com/MKIIProductions
Jacob Green - 25, Wichita, Kansas
You can buy any radio you want, just don't buy a Baofeng and call it a scanner.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT MALICIOUS ACTIVATIONS

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Avensis wrote:If they had the budget, I think it would be good to replace all 13 of them with about 7 or 8 Whelen 2900 units from the US, or something similar. There would be more than sufficient coverage, and the voice announcements would be a great bonus
According to their website, Whelen does do international sales.
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:21 pm

gman 1 wrote:
Avensis wrote:If they had the budget, I think it would be good to replace all 13 of them with about 7 or 8 Whelen 2900 units from the US, or something similar. There would be more than sufficient coverage, and the voice announcements would be a great bonus
According to their website, Whelen does do international sales.

Yeah they do. there are several videos of Danish air raid siren testing featuring whelen omnidirectionals
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”