SuperBanshee

The Mystery Is Revealed: Scream-Master Sirens.

Tue May 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Over the years, a bunch of vertical mystery sirens have been found in California - primarily in the cities of Sacramento, San Jose, and San Diego. For the longest time it was assumed they were made by a myriad of firms including Decot Engineering Works, H.O.R. Company Inc., and Federal Enterprises. At long last, the mystery is revealed. Information was hard to find as this was a fairly short-lived brand without much surviving material.

These sirens were actually called the Scream-Master and were manufactured in La Verne, California under this brand during the 1950s. They were simple vertical sirens, not unlike the Federal Enterprises Model 5. A louvered shroud protected the siren's chopper and motor from weather. The siren was then mounted on a pole shaped tower, supplied by Scream-Master themselves, with a maintenance basket usually stuck on the side to make periodic maintenance easier. Finally, the control boxes were signed "Scream-Master".

Many of these Scream-Master sirens were installed across California. They saw good sales in the early years and were praised for their simple but effective sirens. Unfortunately Scream-Master did not find much success out of California despite this strong beginning. They were another small company that couldn't keep up with the growing Federal Sign & Signal emporium - there is no reference to Scream-Master beyond the 1950s.

One of these sirens is supposed to be on display at the Wende Museum in Culver City, CA.

Here are a mass of photos, largely sourced from Google although I'm open to replacing these with more detailed photographs. I just found out about the Scream-Master brand this morning. Also attached is a scarce news headline detailing the Scream-Master's early success. I am open to any more material regarding this company and its sirens.
Sacramento19thStreet.png
SacramentoStocktonBoulevard.png
SacramentoStocktonBoulevard.png (261.5 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
SanJoseCAS7thStreet.png
SanJoseCAS7thStreet.png (593.17 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
SanLeandroCA.png
SanLeandroCA.png (218.57 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
SunnyvaleCA.png
SunnyvaleCA.png (215.7 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
Sacramento10thStreet.png
Western City Magazine Volume 30 1954.png
Western City Magazine Volume 30 1954.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 12551 times

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Re: The Mystery Is Revealed: Scream-Master Sirens.

Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 pm

With such a detailed list of locations... maybe those are good spots to start virtual siren hunting for more of these awesome sirens!
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

connerdstines

Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 am

Wish there was some media of these in action. ;(
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Hacksaw

Wed May 04, 2016 7:51 am

OK, 6 sounds right for San Jose.

1. San Jose Airport-Removed in the 1990's.

2. Santa Clara St. between 7th & 8th Street-Removed.

3. Lowell Elementary-See picture above.

4. Willow St. between Lincoln Ave. & Bird St.-Removed.

(Edited)
5. Race St. & Park Ave., still there

Last edited by Hacksaw on Mon May 09, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel

Wed May 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I always appreciate SuperBanshee's historical posts. That was what this board is all about. When I saw the title, I expected a "Thundercane-" style hybrid parody with a name like Scream Master. I believe these are single-tone, 10 port sirens.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Wed May 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I had actually forgotten until now that last October when I learned of this sirens removal that I contacted the Wende Museum for some photos and further identification of the siren. In the second photo, you can see the single rotor design SuperBanshee was talking about. There was a news article complete with a video that had one of these sirens sounding on the board back in 06-07. I can't seem to find it, but I'm going to keep looking.

Image2014_440_001_A by Luke Thomas, on Flickr

Image2014_440_001_B by Luke Thomas, on Flickr

Image2014_440_001_C by Luke Thomas, on Flickr
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Daniel

Thu May 05, 2016 12:27 am

If that siren in La Verne is a Scream Master, they appear to have 16 ports.

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 am

I remember that news article mentioned above, and I recall it having a high pitched sound, like 16 ports mentioned above.

SuperBanshee

Thu May 05, 2016 8:29 am

Hacksaw, thanks for the San Jose siren locations and Jmarcoz archive photo. I'll save that photo for my Scream-Master folder.

Crazywarriorman, thanks for the photos of the Wende Museum's siren. Likewise, these go into the folder - I keep large folders of all the material I can find regarding sirens. Makes organizing much easier.
This Scream-Master siren appears to have fewer ports compared to other Scream-Masters, suggesting there was more than just one type of siren offered. The A-frame that holds up the shroud is very similar to a Federal Model 5.

Stevan, I remember the news video but had presumed they just dubbed a generic 9 port siren audio over video footage. Unfortunately the original video was removed years ago but here is a screen shot from it.
SacramentoNewsClip2009.png
News clip.
SacramentoNewsClip2009.png (328.22 KiB) Viewed 12268 times
Daniel, thanks for the feedback. I always enjoy studying these old sirens and coming across new material.
The Scream-Masters are interesting sirens, especially considering how long they've gone unidentified. When I first came across the name in an old forum post I had presumed it was a mistake. It was a big surprise to come across old archive listings that presented Scream-Master as an actual siren.

And finally - a little ornament to commemorate this discovery. I took a shot in the dark regarding its exact profile but the overall shape is a worthy match. The discs are just over an inch in diameter.
DSCN4432.JPG
Little Scream-Master.
DSCN4437.JPG
With screens applied.

Daniel

Sat May 07, 2016 3:16 am

I wonder if the motor was 3,450 RPM or 1,880, in which case it would sound like a Sentry.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”