coopertbolt1

Any new sirens?

Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 pm

I am wondering if there are any new storm sirens going into production anytime soon? I mean it has seemed like a long time since there was any new storm sirens that have gone into production. Tell me anything you know.
Bring back the thunderbolt, NOW.

500 AT fan

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 pm

........ The new T-135 AC/DC was only released 2 years ago............

Alasiren1977

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Whelen has not really put out anything new lately. Federal seems to just keep updating that junking 2001. I wish they would just design a whole new age rotating siren with less glitches.

Daniel

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Alasiren1977 wrote:Whelen has not really put out anything new lately. Federal seems to just keep updating that junking 2001. I wish they would just design a whole new age rotating siren with less glitches.
Every new version of it has a higher pitch. The newest ones sound like old Sterling 16 port sirens.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

bigloudnoise

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Alasiren1977 wrote:Whelen has not really put out anything new lately.
Isn't the Hornet fairly new? Well, at the very least it's a more recent model. As for it being "new" I really cannot say, because spec-wise it seems to just be a miniaturized version of the Vortex, which has been around for a while to the best of my knowledge.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm

the Federal Signal Eclipse sirens were released in June 2005.

Jim_Ferer

Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Gil wrote:the Federal Signal Eclipse sirens were released in June 2005.
...and those use mostly 2001 series components. OTOH, there's always been a lot of re-use of components in sirens.

Sirens, especially mechanical sirens, are a mature technology. What would a new design siren do differently than the ones we have now? It may be possible to design a siren that's less expensive and/or more reliable, but the cost of siren systems is driven by the cost of the controls, activation systems, and above all labor for installation and maintenance. There's little market for "premium" sirens, because sirens are bought based on the lowest responsive bid. IOW, the cheapest guy that meets the terms of the RFP gets the contract. (the secret of ATI's success)

Electronic sirens aren't much different, though there might be room for innovation in driver design or projector design.

On top of everything is that siren sales aren't an expanding market. There's going to be about the same number of customers for new designs as for old ones.

500 AT fan

Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Also, the T-128 was slightly modified not too long ago. Newer ones are a bit higher pitched than older ones. Still not bad. better than those 2001-130s (Yewk!) If there's anything we need, it's an improved CYCLONE C-125. It's a good siren,but, it could use an upgrade. The more compact and versitle T-128 puts out more sound at less effort than the Cyclone........ "Typhoon 135" Anybody???? BTW, Federal prolly won't make anything new for quite a while, until, people start complaining about the 2001-130 exploding people's ears! :lol: btw, I don't count ATI's as real sirens. They're just loud speakers on poles. At least Whelens have some more features that make them electronic sirens........

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 am

Sentry hasn't had a new design in a while (except for the defender). They just keep improving the current models they have.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”